I'm sorry if there is already a thread pertaining to this but I couldn't quite find one...

Do you serve seasonal flavored lattes in your shop? Or any specialty flavored lattes?

The owners of the bakery I work for are pretty pumped about "some kind of fall drink". We have a very basic, classic espresso menu, we don't offer many flavored syrups (house made vanialla, monin almond and hazelnut) and we make our mocha with bittersweet ground chocolate...so I feel like any kind of pumpkin spice thingy wouldn't fit in well...and besides, I don't want to offer that.

But, my boss is my boss, and I must try and come up with something "fall drink"y, while also not compromising quality.

We are offering hot apple cider which is nice, and your standard oregon chai tea (I'd like to make our own chai eventually but for now this is what we are doing). I'd also like to offer parisian style drinking chocolate as it gets cooler..any recommendations on a fall-ish coffee drink? I tried making a local maple syrup latte, but the maple flavor is totally lost...argh

Views: 2776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We do a pumpkin pie latte using our own house made pumpkin sauce. Folks love it. I'm looking for a good spicy hot chocolate recipe if any one is willing to share. I need a dry mix that I can steam into milk.

Sorry I don't have any ideas for you on the dry mix hot chocolate, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your pumpkin sauce recipe. 

I also did a Maple Bacon Latte last year. It had mixed reviews, but with all the hoopla with bacon this year, I'm sure it will be better.  We made maple whipped cream and put real bacon bits on top. 

Marie Cullinan said:

We do a pumpkin pie latte using our own house made pumpkin sauce. Folks love it. I'm looking for a good spicy hot chocolate recipe if any one is willing to share. I need a dry mix that I can steam into milk.
Lori - here you go. I can't take full credit for this recipe.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
3 Tbsp canned pumpkin (we use Libby's)
Instructions

Make a simple syrup by cooking sugar and water. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stir often. Do not allow mixture to come to a boil.
Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
Keep syrup in the fridge.

did you use maple in the drink itself? i have heard that using fenugreek enhances the maple flavor but never tried it..

as far as spiced hot chocolate, when i make it for myself i like cayenne and a pinch of good cinnamon and  a dash of sea salt. i like spicy things so i go a little heavy on cayenne. i would like to expiriment with chinese 5 spice or garam masala too

Perhaps a cinnamon latte or cinnamon mocha? You could potentially make your own cinnamon syrup for this (which could also be added to the hot apple cider). Caramel is another one of those flavors that I attribute with fall. If you could find a great caramel sauce you could make caramel lattes and salted caramel mochas for fall coffee drinks or you could make caramel apple cider.

If you're willing to change your mind about the pumpkin spice, it is possible to make your own homemade pumpkin spice syrup so to make your own unique drink. Or you could check out the Oregon Chai website and read up on their recipe for a pumpkin spice latte (using their chai latte mix).

If your boss really wants you to have a pumpkin spice something-or-other, just remember you'll only have to put up with it for a month or two at most.

Eggnog....make it home made if you dont want to purchase it from a local dairy. But Honestly Pumpkin and Eggnog, Chai, and Peppermint are HUGE sellers during the season! Take some credit for increasing the sales in your store and get seasonal items. Your Boss will be stoked with your enthusiasm and your ability to help pay your paycheck :)

Idont know why my picture is crooked....HA! No time to change it now, but I will :)

Jen lewis said:

Eggnog....make it home made if you dont want to purchase it from a local dairy. But Honestly Pumpkin and Eggnog, Chai, and Peppermint are HUGE sellers during the season! Take some credit for increasing the sales in your store and get seasonal items. Your Boss will be stoked with your enthusiasm and your ability to help pay your paycheck :)

Thanks for the feedback! We tried a few variations of a spice drink, either adding ground spices right into the drink or making syrups, and we are most fond of a syrup made with cardamom, black pepper, ginger, and star anise...I want to try adding orange peel but maybe that's too much! It's sorta inspired by Chinese five spice. We really wanted to do something a little different from baking spices, especially as we have so many pastries using those spices...I also think spices like cinnamon and nutmeg are sort of bitter and overpowering. I really like the subtle heat from the black pepper and ginger root, and the anise sweetly complements the coffee and milk. 

fwiw, we experiment with syrups all the time and I'm stoked to share recipes! We have a housemade vanilla that is in my opinion off the chain...we use our simple syrup, vanilla beans, and housemade vanilla extract. It's delicious!

In my experience, shaving dark chocolate and adding a small amount of finely ground cayenne to it works very well when added to the milk before steamed. Make sure that it is put in first so that it does not float to the top of the pitcher during the steaming process. Once finished, stir vigorously so that the consistency becomes the same throughout the beverage. Unfortunately this recipe does not allow for easy latte art, which is why you can have fun by filling cup3/4 full and topping it with steamed breve so you can accomplish at least a basic Rosetta.

12 ounces requires 8 ounces milk and 3/4 cup of shaved chocolate/Cayenne Pepper mixture (estimate, results are based on how fine the shaved chic is)

The same can be accomplished with dry peanut butter or cinnimon

Marie Cullinan said:
At my bakery we make our own homemade caramel. Mostly to top off our caramel apple rolls but it works very well on our macchiatos. And we also have a customer who swears it's the best thing in the world to add cinnamon and nutmeg in the milk as you steam it and she usually has a shot of hazelnut along with that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service