Simple question, but likely not a simple answer.  I do most of my roasting on a Diedrich IR3.  No issue with it.  I do most of my test roasting on a Hottop.  But the issue is that my roasting temps are a little different.  For instance on a 6 pound roast on the Diedrich first crack occurs at 380.  On the Hottop, 7 ounces reached the same point at 370.   Everything is the same except the machine.  So my question is: why?  I'm roasting them in the same room.  everything.  What is causing that?  On the Diedrich I usually drop the coffee in at over 400 and it drops down to 180 or so and on the Hottop it gets dropped in around 175.  I haven't noticed a big difference in the product.  Just a difference in temps and times.  I suppose it could be a difference in just the actual thermometer.  

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're never going to get the same temp readings between machines. Too many variables--batch size, probe placement, machine contruction, whatever. Surprising that yours are as close as they are.
It's a probe placement issue. The difference of a couple of centimeters can mean a couple of degree Fahrenheit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service