Hey, guys. We're a 20 year-old high-volume business and currently undergoing a transition in ownership/management and our new owner wants us to be to more of a third wave shop. I'm being reassigned from manager to a more coffee-specific role, updating all of our outdated systems, writing a detailed plan regarding everything that needs to happen within the next year or so, writing a new training manual, implementing new programs, hiring and retraining staff, going out and making relationships with new roasters and distributers, etc, etc. I basically have a lot of work on my hands. I was wondering if anybody could help me out with some tips and possibly supply me with a training manual I could modify to my needs.

Additionally, We're located in Reno, NV, and all of our local roasters aren't really at the level of quality we wish them to be. I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good roaster perhaps in Central/Northern California that would have the resources to help out with such a transition by offering training, consulting, and whatnot. 

Sorry for the large number of questions, haha. I just have a lot on my mind regarding this. 

Thanks, 

Ryan

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Benza, no disrespect, I just haven't experienced Temple.  Anywhere in the Bay Area you sell to so I can try some?

Benza Lance said:
Im all about christophers list, psrsonally. All awesome companies with great offerings. 
In regards to Temple (shout out to Bry, the consumate sweetheart) you should definitely hit us up at 916.454.1282 and talk to Sean. Ill be doin more wholesale stuff soon, but not quite yet. At the least, we could answer some of your inquiries for ya. 
Dude, no disrespect taken, man. We just started roastin a year ago; we used to sling Barefoot. 
Off the top of my head, Red Berry in downtown San Jose is rockin our Dharma espresso at the moment. Also, Modern and Bica (both Oakland) using some of our offerings, as well.
I cant recall if Local 123 in Berkeley is doing Temple at the moment, but a shoutout to them, regardless.

christopher myers said:
Hey Benza, no disrespect, I just haven't experienced Temple.  Anywhere in the Bay Area you sell to so I can try some?

Benza Lance said:
Im all about christophers list, psrsonally. All awesome companies with great offerings. 
In regards to Temple (shout out to Bry, the consumate sweetheart) you should definitely hit us up at 916.454.1282 and talk to Sean. Ill be doin more wholesale stuff soon, but not quite yet. At the least, we could answer some of your inquiries for ya. 
I pass through Sacramento quite frequently, so I'll definitely stop in next time and check you guys out.

Benza Lance said:

ryan,

what up homey?

i would really like to get some samples to you!

im a roaster from reno/tahoe area ,we need to hook up and cup some joe!

whats the best way to make contact?

ive helped establish several coffee shop models (from cafeteria turn'em and burn'em ,mobile esp. units and "third wave coffee shops")

"make coffee and,drink love"

j

bonzai coffee co.

Rad, man. I'd really love to support someone local. If your ever in Reno, you could maybe drop some samples off at the shop, or I could come up to Truckee. No big deal, really. 

jeremiah frazier said:

ryan,

what up homey?

i would really like to get some samples to you!

im a roaster from reno/tahoe area ,we need to hook up and cup some joe!

whats the best way to make contact?

ive helped establish several coffee shop models (from cafeteria turn'em and burn'em ,mobile esp. units and "third wave coffee shops")

"make coffee and,drink love"

j

bonzai coffee co.

wreckingballcoffee
well said Ryan well said

Deferio said:

Ryan...

Congrats on the new opportunity! I am currently consulting and working with a friend of mine who has a great little shop here in Syracuse. We are making a lot of changes...it is much easier to make these changes with a small group of people.

To make a shop "third wave" is a bit of a misnomer. The idea behind many shops that people tend to define as such is the idea of progressive excellence. It is an attitude and is something found in people not in systems. Your main challenge is not buying equipment and designing a bar that "looks" a certain way but training a staff to "be" a certain way. You can buy all the equipment and have the cool minimal menus but all of it is just white wash if the staff does not own the idea and mission of the shop.

You have such a unique opportunity to do a quality job here without the pretense that tends to find its way into many "3rd wave" places. 20 years in business means that someone knows business well enough to provide their customers with a service they like enough to return for. Please don't let this transition turn your staff into anything less than friendly, caring, and service driven "people" people.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service