Recently read an old discussion on Coffeed, regarding the value vs. cost of pouring kettles commonly used in manual brewing. The standard would have to be the Hario Buono, with the Takahiro used in some shops with more spending money.  I wanted a kettle for home, but I couldn't justify over $50, so I started shopping around for an alternative. I looked at several things but never really found something that worked for me.

Recently, fellow BX'er James Spano revealed an obscure, overseas website store called Homeloo, that sells items for all parts of the home. In their kitchen section were a couple of water kettles that looked promising.

I ordered one, and am testing it now, and must say, for the money spent, I am thrilled! I can't speak to its durability, but used on periodic basis at home, it works well. At least I can hone my Chemex technique now, and when I start brewing with the v60, I will be prepared.

Here's the link to the one I got, but there is another listed in the Kitchen section:

http://www.homeloo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=33_48&produc...

What other solutions do some of you use for pouring kettles?

Views: 11432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

!!!!!!

I like the look of that one WAY more than the Buono!

The toys are already piling up, and now, I feel a need to buy one of these kettles... ridiculous.

The fun kind of ridiculous, but still probably a little ridiculous.

-bry
that looks way promising. since it's stainless i'm sure it'll be fine for commercial use, i might go ahead and order one. thanks for this man, saved me $40!
Wow.

I just use a 24oz straight-walled steaming pitcher and swear a lot. Because I'm too cheap to pay 50 bucks for a f@#$ teapot. This, however...

How much was shipping? Any headaches?
It shipped from Hong Kong, Air Mail. About $9 if I remember correctly. And took about a week. No hassle at all, very fast email response. I got nothing but good to say here.

Brady said:
Wow.

I just use a 24oz straight-walled steaming pitcher and swear a lot. Because I'm too cheap to pay 50 bucks for a f@#$ teapot. This, however...

I've been looking for a reasonably priced kettle that does it's job well and looks like this would be perfect for now. I'll have to add it to my collection as well. Thanks, Paul.
Total including shipping ($11.80) to US was/is $34.80. Now how do I know that! :)

Brady said:
Wow.

Great find Paul! If i didn't already have the v60 kettle I'd give this one a try. I think it would be more conducive for people who heat the water while it is in the kettle, rather than pouring in from an electric kettle. Much larger surface area on the bottom.

http://www.homeloo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=33_48&produc...
Can we get some more data on these kettles from you new owners? Do they reasonably hold the volume quoted in the online store? Can you safely bring water to a boil in them, or do you have to heat water elsewhere and transfer to them? Are they made of heavy or light gauge stainless? Do they pour well and predictably? Any chance someone has a thermal probe with which to measure heat loss?
The volume quoted on the first was 700 ml. I rarely measure water in milliliters, prefering ounces, or weigh grams. I filled the round pot I use almost to the top, and it came to about 30 oz, which is actually more than 700 ml. It's an ideal amount of water for brewing with an 8-cup Chemex. I have not tried to boil water in it, preferring to use my new Pino kettle from Sweet Marias. The spout wall seems quite thick, the weld at the pitcher looks solid. The lid seems a little light, and I noticed that depending on how it is placed on the pot determined how tight it fit, meaning that the hole, or the lid, is slightly out of round. It pours extremely well and predictably for me. I don't have a heat probe, sorry.

Simon Ouderkirk said:
Can we get some more data on these kettles from you new owners? Do they reasonably hold the volume quoted in the online store? Can you safely bring water to a boil in them, or do you have to heat water elsewhere and transfer to them? Are they made of heavy or light gauge stainless? Do they pour well and predictably? Any chance someone has a thermal probe with which to measure heat loss?
i just ordered one also, i'll post some info here once i get it.

i think the guy that sells them wants some reviews on his page as well, might be good to give him some feedback.
I think I am going to have to pick these 2 up and play with them
Jared has gotten his, I am just waiting to see what his thoughts are about it. Love mine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service