So yesterday I was at my coffee shop purocaffing my steaming pitchers using hot americano water, and one slipped and poured down my arm. Hopefully it turns into a sweet scar as proof. Anyway, it got me wondering what the worst coffee shop injury is that you guys've had!

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing so dramatic.
I stepped on an ice cube and threw my back out.
Doesn't sound like much, but it hurt like hell for three weeks.
Although burning seems to be quite the regular occurrence at coffee shops, the only time I really remember was when a coworker squirted mustard all over my burn. It really helped. But I loathe mustard! The hot water straight from the machine always seems to hurt the most, but the only scars I have are from the wand.
Once I was moping up behind the bar after close and when I went to put the mop back up in the bucket the top of it hit one of our heavy menu boards. It came crashing down right on top of my head. I didn't even realize what happened until ther other girl I was working with came to see what the noise was and started freaking out when she saw my forehead bleeding. Luckily I wasnt hurt to bad but I still have a sweet scar on my forhead which i can hide by my hair and I didnt have to go to class the next day.
We have wine glasses at the place I work for our brunch menu on the weekends. A few months ago when I was working on dishes, I put something on the top rack and watched as it played out a domino effect until it hit the wine glass at the end of the shelf. On the way down it hit the hobart and shattered into a bunch of pieces and cut the back of my knee taking a good chunk of skin. Too awkward for stitches but it bled pretty good and now I have a crazy scar.

I think that was my worst one but I have plenty of small scars from four years of random mishaps.
When we were first rebuilding/remodeling our shop my co-worker was on a ladder painting the ceiling about 25 ft off the ground and he had it at some crazy angle or something (he wasn't in my sight when it happened, I just heard the crash and went running) and it slipped out. He amazingly didn't break anything.

Two of the worst ones I can think of are a co-worker dropping a PF (spout first) onto my foot. Doesn't sound all that bad, but if you are a idiot like me and wear sandles (yes it's probably against health code) it can really mess your foot up. I had to go home, actually.

Had a really nasty chemical burn from not wearing gloves one time. Cafiza/Rinza solution and 30 or so minutes of cleaning steam pitchers really did a number on my hand. Had to take 2 days off work for that one.

Other than that, just burns and what not.

Oh... and almost lost 3 of my fingers on a mandolin slicer (we got a full kitchen, so I was helping prep)... that would actually probably be tops.

-bry
Dude...those are some nasty ones!! I can't imagine dropping one of those things on my foot. Yeah I had to go to the hospital for my burn where they also decided to give me a stupid tetnis shot...I hate those.

We don't use cafiza, we use purocaff, and I've never gotten chemichal burns from them that's gotta suck! I do get the stuff in a cut once in awhile, that hurts superbad!!

Bryan Wray said:
When we were first rebuilding/remodeling our shop my co-worker was on a ladder painting the ceiling about 25 ft off the ground and he had it at some crazy angle or something (he wasn't in my sight when it happened, I just heard the crash and went running) and it slipped out. He amazingly didn't break anything.

Two of the worst ones I can think of are a co-worker dropping a PF (spout first) onto my foot. Doesn't sound all that bad, but if you are a idiot like me and wear sandles (yes it's probably against health code) it can really mess your foot up. I had to go home, actually.

Had a really nasty chemical burn from not wearing gloves one time. Cafiza/Rinza solution and 30 or so minutes of cleaning steam pitchers really did a number on my hand. Had to take 2 days off work for that one.

Oh... and almost lost 3 of my fingers on a mandolin slicer (we got a full kitchen, so I was helping prep)... that would actually probably be tops.

-bry
Erin said:
Dude...those are some nasty ones!! I can't imagine dropping one of those things on my foot. Yeah I had to go to the hospital for my burn where they also decided to give me a stupid tetnis shot...I hate those.

We don't use cafiza, we use purocaff, and I've never gotten chemichal burns from them that's gotta suck! I do get the stuff in a cut once in awhile, that hurts superbad!!

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

I don't think it had to do so much with the product being used as it did to the fact that my hands were submerged in it for like 20-30 minutes without gloves while I was washing all the steaming pitchers.

-bry
I was opening a box of turbinado packets, and I sliced my thumb open with the box knife. My boss just grabbed my thumb before I could even look at it, and drove me to the ER for stitches. That's about the coolest injury I've ever gotten on the job.
When I was learning to use our espresso machine I shot myself with the wand through a knit thermal. The wand sits around my pelvic area and the blister looked like someone bit me.
There was a bean under the filter in our brewer basket... It filled with fresh, hot coffee and ended up on my arm. I had a hairband around my wrist, which to this day is white in between the scars.
hahaha!!! I think that's the best one so far. That's hilarious! I bet it hurt like none other too!!

Ricky Sutton said:
I'm a little embarrassed to mention this, but...

I was attempting to clean out a giant jug that was full of peanut butter so that i could recycle it and i decided to use 200 degree water. I sealed the lid on tightly and gave it a few shakes. The hot water created enough pressure to blast the lid off and coat my right hand in molten peanut butter napalm.

I had music rehearsal that night too. You should have heard the message i left for my vocalist; "dude, i don't think i'm going to make it tonight. I, um... boiled my hand in peanut butter."
Doing dishes. People put glass and whatever in the sink, just toss them in, so I filled it up with hot water. I reached into the sink to grab some dishes and instead grabbed a handful of hot sharp glass. Cut through my hand pretty bad. Went in with the left hand slowly to try and grab the glass -- bad idea, cut that hand too! my co-worker came in the back as I was covered in blood desperately trying to cover my hands in bandages. The cuts weren't very deep but they still give me the shivers when I think about it. It hurt!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service