So I'll be down in New Orleans for a week in the new year. I was wondering where I should get coffee. And where I should go to eat.

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the place that was recommended to me when i went last was PJ's. personally i didn't like it. we ended up drinking the stale brewed coffee at the little inn we stayed at and that worked out a little better for me.

i dont know. maybe we went to the wrong location?

Check out the Orange Couch on Royal Street.

What kind of food do you like?

I was there for mardi, and i fond a place call Dee's coffee. The first time i went there and ask for 2 caps, they trow me one rosseta and a bunny on free pour. They had a nice Guatemala blend, so if you are there hit it up. Ahh is in the down town section near the O'keefe Plaza Hotel!

@Melanie Lea -- PJ's Coffee is a local franchise which I worked for when starting out in coffee at 17 years old. Trust me, they don't train their kids how to make good coffee/espresso drinks. It's all about following a consistent corporate recipe (that isn't always followed). They use superautomatic espresso machines, too. All in all, not a place for the diehard coffee nerd.

@James -- Please, check out anything you can! Even PJ's. Just because it's not stunning doesn't mean you can't learn from it. Here's my list, as a NOLA native.

+ Dee's Coffee on the corner of Perdido/Baronne (CBD): Amazing baristas. This joint is the homebase for the local coffee group called SNOB "The Society of New Orleans Baristas". They know what's up. Especially if you end up going when Drew or John are working.

+ Mojo's Coffee House on Magazine St (Uptown): Also a great place with a really cool local vibe. They have great coffee and really good lunch food, plus there's wifi. I don't know the staff all too well, but I've never had a bad experience.

+ Cafe du Monde on Decatur (French Quarter): Simply for the nostalgia and historical importance. They have good coffee, intense chicory, and creamy cafe au lait--also referred to as a "misto" in some coffee joints--as well as their famous beignets. There's frequently a live music act in the area. Check it out.

Taiya Jarva said:
Definitely Cafe du Monde. I need to go there myself.

Yep. A great chickory coffee in a cafe au lait and a bagga beignets is something that you'll remember for a while. I had no luck with 'great' coffee when I was there.
Get out of tourist-land once in a while for food. Tchappatoula St. and something (on the way to Tippitina's) was a 'Mr. Catfish' or some such. Low, free-standing blue clapboard building on a white, crushed shell drive. Excellent seafood.
Other than that, there are a tone of just great seafood jernts.

sucre at lakeside (veterans @ severn). our slayer is nice and broken in (hit 5000 shots today). always pulling a blend (currently cafe indigo from orleans coffee) and a single origin. french press for brewed coffee.

mojo is good, dees is great, z'otz on oak st is hit or miss - when it hits though its great, orange couch on royal, and satsuma (for coffee and food) on dauphine in the bywater are both real good too.

pjs is pretty typical chain - their cold drip, however, is nearly perfect imo.

I don't have a car to get there with. Otherwise, I would.

Taiya Jarva said:
ALSO if you are willing to drive an hour into mississippi, come to Hattiesburg!! I work at the Depot and we serve (in my opinion) excellent coffee!! and good food, too.
Oooh. Slayer.

Greg Hill said:

sucre at lakeside (veterans @ severn). our slayer is nice and broken in (hit 5000 shots today). always pulling a blend (currently cafe indigo from orleans coffee) and a single origin. french press for brewed coffee.

mojo is good, dees is great, z'otz on oak st is hit or miss - when it hits though its great, orange couch on royal, and satsuma (for coffee and food) on dauphine in the bywater are both real good too.

pjs is pretty typical chain - their cold drip, however, is nearly perfect imo.

I completely forgot you guys were open Greg! I can't believe that. Damn. Indigo is one of my favorites, I'll have to come check it out before you switch.

Greg Hill said:

Cafe Du Monde can't be matched for people-watching!

Taiya Jarva said:
Definitely Cafe du Monde. I need to go there myself.
Cafe` du Monde!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service