Hey there,

We run a couple coffee shops in Southwest Washington and have had a few variations as to what is the ideal milk temperature to serve our hot drinks at. I figured I'd get some outside advice/opinions to see what might be industry standard or preferred these days. Any info you send my way would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Jacob

Views: 533

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lots of differing opinions on this out here too, not just in your shops. I think you'd find the most common ground in the 150 deg-F neighborhood. We've found that 160 deg is a good temp for keeping people with to-go's happy... but I know that many prefer the flavor of milk steamed to just about 140. Outside of that is either scalded or tepid.

One essential thing before talking temp is proper thermometer calibration. Calibrate often, and use the same method at all locations.

We all have those interesting customers with a very peculiar drink temperature. What is the hottest or coldest you have and/or would serve a drink at?
Great reply... but why quietly, lmhsao?

Ricky Sutton said:
I make Gibraltars at 120°. The hottest that I typically go is 160° for "extra hot", but if someone says "I want it 186°" then I make it 186°. Then quietly talk shit about them when they leave.
Everything we do is to-go and average 150s and most are fine with that. A bit higher for colder weather, etc. Will drop to 120s~ for the younger generation, which I honestly feel as if many don't give thought to in this regard.

By younger generation do you mean the under-thirty crowd? or the under-ten crowd? 

Shadow said:

Everything we do is to-go and average 150s and most are fine with that. A bit higher for colder weather, etc. Will drop to 120s~ for the younger generation, which I honestly feel as if many don't give thought to in this regard.
we do 120º for kids, 140º for not too hot,  between 150º-160º for normal drinks, and 170º for extra hot. Most of our clientele complains 140º isn't hot enough, so we appease to the best of our ability.

We usually make our drinks at about 150-160. Anything else I think, is just too hot, unless a guest prefers their beverage "extra hot" I like my drinks around 140, so it's immediatly drinkable.

-Jillian Roholt

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service