Ready to upgrade our espresso grinders and interested in the Robur E's but would like to hear comments from owners / baristas now using them. Any surprises? Worth the $$? Have the Robur E's caused you to modify your procedures?

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are also thinking of taking the plunge. I Have a wholesale customer who uses a E-Major and I'm not impressed there is too much fluctuation in doseing as the hopper empty's. The Robur supposedly solves this with the auger fed conical burrs but I would love to hear form someone using one.
Robur E's take a good 30kg, before the fluctuation in each dose settles. However, in a high volume coffee shop environment, the grinder is a real soldier.

Not only does it prevent strain on the wrist or weird shoulder lifting which can result in RSI and other chronic injury, it also prevents wastage by a good 99% made up statistic. We can keep our dosage (after the break in) at 100% accuracy every time. We can pump out coffee at godspeed times, due to the 3-4 seconds required to fill out basket instead of 6-7 seconds on a doser (grinding on demand and leveling). We don't need to level, I even tried to make some channeling, it's just too damn good.

Why do I say we? Because the Robur-e is everyone's favourite. Also, yes the auger fed conical burrs help.
How often to you change the burrs? It seems that 60-70 lbs to "break in" the grinder is a pretty big waste. I've heard this from others, up to 150 lbs for break in. Do you have to do this for every burr set you replace? Do conicals have a longer life expectancy than flats?
The amount of coffee to get it stable is, in some ways a waste... if you're using fresh beans! Perhaps get a box or two of stale old stock off a nearby roaster for cheap? :) Just a thought.

Conical burrs are of a higher quality, and Mazzer's newly designed conical series is in the newer grinders of this year, consisting of a more vertically angled cut and higher breaking point. Extending the life expectancy of their conical's more so than their older designs. As for them out-lasting flats, I honestly don't have the answer.. I really don't know. :) Sorry about that.

I imagine for every new burr set, you would have to season it a little each time. However, I don't believe Conical burrs are too expensive, as they go for around $150 - $250 AUS dollars.
How often do you replace your conical burrs? We replace our flats every 1000 pounds or so.
We haven't replaced them yet. It's only new. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service