A friend asked me what machine would be good for mobile operation. At this point, I think they are exploring a single group machine. I've heard reports of success using the Nuova Simonelli Oscar, was referred to the Epoca but didn't get good review from a local shop that used one. Anyone have a recommendation for either a single or two group mobile machine?

Thanks!

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would recommend using the la marzocco gs3. It runs on standard 110/120 power, has a water reservoir or plumbing option, and is by far the most stable small machine. It doesn't weigh much, so it's easy to transport, too.
I have sold lots if the Epocas and they are a good machine. They are heavy and have a large boiler. I agree on the La marzocco but they are not cheap. I also like this machine as it is a double boiler and well built and respected.

http://www.dallacorte.com/index.php?article_id=146&clang=1

The problem is really what size the event is and can you get 220 power for a 2 group machine and I would suggest at an event over 50- 75 people or so it would be nice to have a 2 group machine. What I mean by event is if you set up and are doing a pay by cup event rather then being a food vendor at a event you will most likely be able to use the one machine per 50-75 people at the pay by cup or hour event. It is hard to say how you will do at a large event where you are another vendor amongst many. I would look into a propane powered 2 group or larger as an option with a flo jet system to provide water. Really how you set up and transport stuff is important in the equipment you choose.
Thanks for the ideas. I'd personally lean toward the single group machine and keep it simple. Cheers...
If your friend is serious about looking for a good machine for a mobile operation, they might want to contact our company. We do not sell machines. We are a 10 plus year old mobile espresso company in Atlanta. Currently, we are putting together a franchise package that he/she may be interested in hearing about. In regards to equipment, no offense intended in any way to other contributors, but I wouldn't use any of the machines recommended. Good suggestions but not what we use or would choose to use for a number of reasons. I can help your friend based on real experience, not speculation. Good luck!
Todd,

What is the name of the company you work for in Atlanta?

Todd Reddeman said:
If your friend is serious about looking for a good machine for a mobile operation, they might want to contact our company. We do not sell machines. We are a 10 plus year old mobile espresso company in Atlanta. Currently, we are putting together a franchise package that he/she may be interested in hearing about. In regards to equipment, no offense intended in any way to other contributors, but I wouldn't use any of the machines recommended. Good suggestions but not what we use or would choose to use for a number of reasons. I can help your friend based on real experience, not speculation. Good luck!
The GS3 is a great machine for catering if you care about drink quality and serving traditional drinks. If the focus of your business is larger volume American sized drinks I don't think you will be happy with the amount of steam you get from the GS3. We are running a concession this weekend at the Midwest Folk and Fiber Festival and should give our machine a real workout. I did a 200 person wedding with no problems last month.
Larry why dont you stick with a lever? You could get a 2 group- do away with the electricity component by running it on gas with a foot pump option for the water. You would still need to use electricity- but with the big user out of the way, it might work well!
When you say "mobile" - do you mean mounted in a vehicle or simply a machine that you can carry from place to place?

For a more "mobile" operation, I think Dalla Corte has some great options. Low power consumption and very efficient.
Thanks for the suggestions! Mobile at this moment means portable, carry from place to place. We just had a festival in town, they took iced coffee, etc and realized they might like being able to make hot drinks as well. Thus, the exploration of possibilities. I don't think this would be a huge mobile operation but an occasional offering like a few festivals, local events and the like.
Hi!

I own Mocha My Day. Http://www.mochamyday.com

Nick Bimmerle said:
Todd,

What is the name of the company you work for in Atlanta?

Todd Reddeman said:
I am going to opt this way...
A GS3 no doubt if you want the craft.

Something like a Franke Flair if you want a super auto. All self contained.
Gina's spot on and a little bird told me she can get you a good deal on just about anything you want.

We had a good day with our GS, we had a rainy day and only did about $700 but I was in the weeds for a good solid hour and the machine remained stable under constant use. We did 12oz double shot lattes and cap's and had no problem. A 110v machine inherently has compromises but with the GS there are very few.

Gina Palandri said:
I am going to opt this way...
A GS3 no doubt if you want the craft.

Something like a Franke Flair if you want a super auto. All self contained.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service