Hey all - I just started on a little single Rio and it has a bit of a leaky bolt. I don't know much about what kind of Rio. It's from '97 and the numbers on the side are SMSA/1N/JUN #170480.

Basically, there is a line that runs from the top right side of the boiler, towards the front of the machine. And there is a white sleeve that contains that line in the front right corner of the machine. The bolt at the top of that metal sleeve is leaking, steaming, and dripping down into the catch pan. And it seems to be getting worse. It has been sitting since June, and we were thinking that some dry seals may have attributed to it. I don't know if it sounds bad enough to call a tech, or if it's something that we can fix with a little sealing compound. I would try to do it myself, but am unsure, so any advice would be helpful. THANKS ALL!

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Becki. I have always wondered why these are called Rio in the USA. I am guessing there was perhaps a similarly named machine in the market at sometime from a competitor...SMSA is the manufacturing company shortened version for San Marino Semi Automatic/1 group/Junior version of the machine. I have quite a few of these machines floating around here, although most date to early 2000. I dont have a machine in front of me now but I am thinking you are refering to the sight glass showing the water level in the boiler. There is a nut/bolt that sits on top of this glass. If this is leaking indeed it probably is a seal. It would be very easy to fix yourself- you can for sure order the nut and the rubber seal from probably half a dozen machine companies online. Just make sure you change the machine when it is cold and it would be a very good idea to empty the boiler first as even if cold removing this seal will result in the water all flowing out of the top of the sigt glass! Will check a machine today to make I am not putting you wrong.
Thanks Alun. We have ordered the seals and have a little more insight now. I appreciate all the information.

Alun Evans said:
Hi Becki. I have always wondered why these are called Rio in the USA. I am guessing there was perhaps a similarly named machine in the market at sometime from a competitor...SMSA is the manufacturing company shortened version for San Marino Semi Automatic/1 group/Junior version of the machine. I have quite a few of these machines floating around here, although most date to early 2000. I dont have a machine in front of me now but I am thinking you are refering to the sight glass showing the water level in the boiler. There is a nut/bolt that sits on top of this glass. If this is leaking indeed it probably is a seal. It would be very easy to fix yourself- you can for sure order the nut and the rubber seal from probably half a dozen machine companies online. Just make sure you change the machine when it is cold and it would be a very good idea to empty the boiler first as even if cold removing this seal will result in the water all flowing out of the top of the sigt glass! Will check a machine today to make I am not putting you wrong.
make sure you drain the boiler completely and I would also recommend changing the bottom seal of the sight glass as well.
does it look like the pic in this file?
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service