We serve a cold-brewed iced coffee, that sells well, but I have a few customers that are asking for an Iced Latte. . .I have gingerly talked them out of icing a latte instead selling them an iced coffee. Is there anyway to make an iced latte that won't result in a watery mess?? I just can't imagine pouring hot espresso followed by steamed milk over ice and getting anything but watery gunk. It seems like the customers are used to Macdonalds type iced lattes and Starbucks frappacinos that are totally frozen concoctions. Help me please!!

Views: 6269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We uses the toddy instead of the hot espresso.
I'm a fan of using cold, not steamed, milk in an iced latte. I know there has been at least a few discussions on the use of cold vs. steamed vs. cold with scooped foam. If your gonna use espresso, I would say add it last over the milk (that way you dont risk melting a cold cup or getting a nasty plastic taste). Toddy concentrate as an espresso substitute in iced drinks is a pretty good way to go too. But yea, steamed milk or foam over ice can have a pretty nasty texture/taste, IMO. Hope that helps.
just dont steam the milk :) put your ice in the cup fill it up with milk and leave room for your shots and pour them in and stir it all together. It will get watery if it sits around too long but most people will finish it before it gets gross. I have also heard of people freezing coffee so that it doesn't make it watery when the ice starts to melt. Cool idea but I can't imagine it's worth the time and money. good luck!
steamed milk over ice is not good... if you've got cold-brewed coffee, it will make an incredible iced latte. i recommend a ratio of 1 ounce to 3 ounces of (cold)milk, adding ice last so that it does no melt with the addition of liquid. it is not, in the truest since, an iced latte, but it will be much smoother than hot shots over ice with cold (or especially steamed) milk because you will not be dealing with the cold shock you get when pouring hot espresso into cold milk or ice.
i love an iced latte. I think hot shots taste great in it. I've had it with cold-brew and it's ok but with the espresso, to me, it is so much better. Of course, that depends on the espresso that you are using.

I've never had the shots melt the cup but it is a good idea to add the milk first just in case. So...milk, espresso, ice....give it a twirl! I have never and would never steam milk and then throw it over ice...i've never had it but it sounds disgusting
We've alsways used hot espresso shots for our iced lattes, with delicious results. We pour milk over a generous cup of ice (the ice will melt, so it's important to start with a lot to ensure some remains to keep the drink cold), then add flavoring (if ordered) and espresso. Stir briskly, top off with more milk, if needed, and stir again. Then watch the expression of joy on your customer's face!
Syrup first (simple or flavored) if necessary. Cold milk to the halfway point. Fresh, hot espresso. Fill with ice. dump into a shaker and back to mix. Hot espresso will warp some cold cups, and will melt some of the ice if you add it on top, which is why we do it in this order.

A little steamed milk over ice to do an iced capp is pretty good... wouldn't do more than a few ounces though.
Hey Chuck,

Sorry I have been absent for a while. THis is how we roll and people seem to love it. Milk then espresso, then ice, and then mix it in a secondary container and back in the cup. Very, Very popular here in upstate NY.

Andy Atkinson said:
I'm a fan of using cold, not steamed, milk in an iced latte. I know there has been at least a few discussions on the use of cold vs. steamed vs. cold with scooped foam. If your gonna use espresso, I would say add it last over the milk (that way you dont risk melting a cold cup or getting a nasty plastic taste). Toddy concentrate as an espresso substitute in iced drinks is a pretty good way to go too. But yea, steamed milk or foam over ice can have a pretty nasty texture/taste, IMO. Hope that helps.
I fill the cup 2/3 with ice, pour cold milk over that leaving just enough room to float the espresso on top. Then give the cup a gentle swirl (lid on, of course!) and serve! It is very attractive...the espresso swirling through the milk....
Brady said:
Syrup first (simple or flavored) if necessary. Cold milk to the halfway point. Fresh, hot espresso. Fill with ice. dump into a shaker and back to mix. Hot espresso will warp some cold cups, and will melt some of the ice if you add it on top, which is why we do it in this order.

A little steamed milk over ice to do an iced capp is pretty good... wouldn't do more than a few ounces though.

Oops... meant a little thick microfoamed milk... standard capp stuff. A little over ice, then mixed with cold milk and fresh espresso. But that is another thread...
We pour cold milk onto a cup of ice, then fresh espresso shots on top of that. If they desire any flavoring, I'll pull the shots into a double cup with the syrup/sauce already in it and give hat a little stir before I add it on top. It seems to work quite well, but then again that's the only way I've ever done it.
Does anyone else not stir their shots in before giving it to the customer or am I the only one?
I think it looks more visually appealing to see it slowly mixing in without a stir, and it is more interactive for the customer to swirl it or stir it in themselves. It just looks prettier.
Iced Lattes are among my customer's favorite drinks - I just don't steam the milk. I do pour the hot shots over a smidge of milk first to help retain the natural sweetness then I pour that over the ice and add more milk and stir. They keep coming back for more!!! I do this with all milk, whole, 2%, skim, soy, hemp, & 1/2&1/2 - folks LOVE it!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service