Hello to all, and proffessional Baristas in particular

I would like to know everyones belief on what is the suggested time frame that ground coffee will still be useable for a fresh coffee once it is in the grinders doser ready to be dosed,
I ask this question, as a individual who stated that he was a barrister, Said" it would stay fresh for 24hrs ground in the hopper".

My own experince differs from this and would like to hear others opinons.

Views: 10997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course , it was supposed to read ( Is a banana fresh after you peal it? )

Chris said:

Joseph Robertson said:
Really folks. You have to ask yourself. Is a banana after you peal it. Are nuts fresh after you crush them. We really need to do more tasting. It is very easy to taste fresh compared to not fresh. Do side by side till you figure it out.
Joe

Yup. Fifteen minutes after grinding was the general area in which the coffee started to change in appearance, and then steadily degraded in flavour in the cup at five minute intervals, which led us to the assumption that the change in appearance heralded the oncoming degradation of the flavour. Folks with more sensitive palates would probably pick up on the changes before me.
If you can taste the difference betwe4en a shot ground now and a shot ground thirty seconds ago, you're wasting your talents behind a bar. That's a six, seven figure tongue. I agree that one should make the attempt to grind as soon as the order is made, and to follow though til the guys holding his drink, but if there are six of us, and we all order espresso drinks, I'm not going to be able to tell one from another if I get the first grinding or the last, if they're all ground at once.
OTOH, I've pre-ground coffee roasted today, or yesterday, to get them to calm down a touch. Fifteen minutes to a half hour makes 'too-fresh' coffee behave itself.
Chris, thank you for some real world practice and experience.
Joe

Joseph Robertson said:
Of course , it was supposed to read ( Is a banana fresh after you peal it? )

Chris said:

Joseph Robertson said:
Really folks. You have to ask yourself. Is a banana after you peal it. Are nuts fresh after you crush them. We really need to do more tasting. It is very easy to taste fresh compared to not fresh. Do side by side till you figure it out.
Joe

Yup. Fifteen minutes after grinding was the general area in which the coffee started to change in appearance, and then steadily degraded in flavour in the cup at five minute intervals, which led us to the assumption that the change in appearance heralded the oncoming degradation of the flavour. Folks with more sensitive palates would probably pick up on the changes before me.
If you can taste the difference betwe4en a shot ground now and a shot ground thirty seconds ago, you're wasting your talents behind a bar. That's a six, seven figure tongue. I agree that one should make the attempt to grind as soon as the order is made, and to follow though til the guys holding his drink, but if there are six of us, and we all order espresso drinks, I'm not going to be able to tell one from another if I get the first grinding or the last, if they're all ground at once.
OTOH, I've pre-ground coffee roasted today, or yesterday, to get them to calm down a touch. Fifteen minutes to a half hour makes 'too-fresh' coffee behave itself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service