How do the big coffee roasters get away with low weights????

I don't want to start a discussion that has already been talked about to death.

My Question is:
With the traditional brewing method (paper filter/bunn brewer)
How do some big time roasters get away with such low weights (70-76gr/2l water)?

Their coffee isn't great but depending on who's it is, it can be strong, bold and not weak or dish water tasting? I find a lot of this coffee has an initial ok-good taste, but I am dumping it by the time I'm half way through the cup.

I don't have a good answer to my customers as to why my coffee needs a higher weight!

It a roasting thing? 
Do they use Robusta beans?
Finer grind (should of checked this already)  

Thanks 
Derryl 

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure that they really do get away with it; my experience with "restaurant coffee" has led me to calling it Hot Brown Drink.

Because they usually buy it ground, rather than unground, it's a bit difficult to tell, but it looks to me as though many are using a mixture of about 70% medium roast with about 20% very very dark roast and about 10% of I don't know what, but maybe one or other of the above.

I'm sure that there is a better answer to your question but the impression I'm getting is that the carbonized portion is giving the impression of flavour when the coffee is really hot. Once it cools to the range that we can truly taste it, the truth comes out. It sucks.

There is a micro-roaster down the road from me who does a great job. Nice coffee. That said, when I stop in for a cup I always find it lacking something. It turns out that they dose to restaurant standards of around 71 grams/2 litres. When I told them that we dose to 55g/l or 110/2 they were surprised that we used that much.

Funny, but they all hang out and drink coffee where I work. :)
"Get away with"

?

I could "get away with" 40g/2l but I'm not going to do it.

If an appropriate rephrasing of your question is: "Why is it that I can't initially taste a difference between coffee with a low TDS and a coffee with a high or appropriate TDS" I think the best answer is what Fraser got at. When a coffee typically really starts to shine as it's cooling off, a coffee brewed at an inappropriate ratio is going to start plateauing. You expect it to start gaining more and more and more and instead it just sits there... being boring.

That said, I'm not sure I understand your question completely... Even so, I can easily assume the answer is "no" to the robusta comment.

-bry
Fraser; thanks! great explanation, appreciate the help!

Bryan: They do get away with it, they are suppling 80% 90% or more? of the hospitality industry. And the majority of people will accept a cup of bad coffee with little or no complaint. To me it is these large coffee suppliers that have set the low standards.
I am just trying to give a better answer than; "our coffee is just better".
Derryl,

If "your coffee is just better". They will not need much explanation. Just let them enjoy, and drop them a few tidbits each time about sourcing, roasting, freshness, proper coffee/water ratio, brew temps, steep times, etc.... In the end they will continue to come...

...because your coffee is just better.

Derryl Reid said:
... I am just trying to give a better answer than; "our coffee is just better".
John

I wish this was the a case but price per cup and not taste, freshness or quality is the deciding factor for a lot of places.
Fraser's explanation will help allot. It won't close the sale but will get them thinking.

Cheers!

John P said:
Derryl,
If "your coffee is just better". They will not need much explanation. Just let them enjoy, and drop them a few tidbits each time about sourcing, roasting, freshness, proper coffee/water ratio, brew temps, steep times, etc.... In the end they will continue to come...

...because your coffee is just better.

Derryl Reid said:
... I am just trying to give a better answer than; "our coffee is just better".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service