I'm trying to figure out whether homemade syrups fall under the same category as lets say homemade cookies. I know if i wanted to sell homemade cookies, these cookies would of had to been made in a "approved" kitchen.(FDA approved...?) Essentially a kitchen that is looked over and approved by a health inspector. Now does that apply to syrups as well? I'm assuming it does, but maybe it doesn't? Any additionally info would be appreciated.

I searched for a similar thread (cause i'm sure this has been asked before) but couldn't find an answer... links anyone?

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've recently looked into this myself (Minneapolis, MN).  Here the syrups are considered a regular food item and must be prepared in a health certified kitchen.  As the area behind the counter is considered certified we are able to make our own if we choose to do so as long as they're made on site.  I would suspect any city that requires the bar area to meet health codes would have a similar standard.
Make your syrup and dont worry about it . make sure you bring it to boil so you kill all yeast so it does nt tur in to alcool.and just like that i suggest to store them in fridg at night.
Are you doing a mobile thing?  If so yes, pretty much anything that isn't factory sealed has to be prepped in a kitchen with a health permit.  Details depend on your city/state though, so call your local health department.  If you have a shop, you should already have your health permit anyway, so you're clear.  I don't know about all states, but usually you don't make anything anywhere that doesn't have a health permit (like your actual home).  Technically speaking of course.  It's pretty hard to regulate these things.
Oh hey, you're in the East Bay, sweet.  So yeah, same deal with the cookies.
Awesome, thanks for the responses. Ok so in shop good, out of shop bad. Sweet. Now on to troll all the threads about amazing syrup recipes. Any one have an awesome recipe they care to share...? Mainly chocolate, vanilla, and maybe carmel. (If not ill ill actually have to put in effort to find some)
There's some good stuff on here about vanilla syrup: either do one whole bean, split it open and strip the beans, boil, add sugar, reduce to a good consistency, or something with vanilla bean paste...I think that's all you need to know, personally, just experiment to find the exact measurements you want.  Same for chocolate.  I think for bang for your buck, use good baker's chocolate chips, sugar, salt and a bit of water.  Are you opening a shop in Martinez?
Cool thanks Chrisopher. My sights arnt set on Martinez, somewhere in the bay area though. Just trying to make some early stage decisions now, so I wont have to worry about them later.

Spro Vanilla Syrup - 750ml

Sugar

Water

Vanilla Bean

Fill bottle halfway with sugar

Add 1/2 volume hot water and dissolve sugar

Cut tips off three vanilla beans and split down center - do not scrape out seeds

Place beans in bottle

Fill to volume with cool water

Refrigerate minimum three days (two weeks is better)

Use as needed

When done, reuse the beans in new solution up to four times.

After fourth use, air dry bean husk then place in sugar for a vanilla fragrance to your sugar.

Note: we've been making/manufacturing our own syrups for shop use since 2002.

short and sweet

anything you're selling to customers needs to be made in a certified kitchen/environment. the factories you order your supplies for are certified already, and everything YOU make needs to be in such an environment :)

Thanks for the help everyone. Making syrups in store shouldnt be an issue. And thanks Jay and Taiya for the recipes.(Taiya let me know how that recipe turns out)

Brandi Heath said:

short and sweet

anything you're selling to customers needs to be made in a certified kitchen/environment. the factories you order your supplies for are certified already, and everything YOU make needs to be in such an environment :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service