Has anyone tried the Handpresso (www.handpresso.com)? Apparently you can put finely ground espresso roasted coffee and boiling water in it and it extracts at over 9 bars... but i can't find any reviews... anyone tried it? If so, what do you think of it?

...the reason I ask is because I'm gonna be campin out in yellowstone for a week... thats a long time to go without espresso!

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah.. That looks nasty... There are plenty more variables that need to be factored in, not just the atmospheric pressure...
yeah, they don't really offer a lot of info on their site. i suppose the temp would be almost spot on... depending on how fast you got it in there after stopping the boil, and if you use filtered water like brita the taste wouldnt be tainted. of course, freshly ground coffee would be a must. i just don't know if i trust something that you hold in one hand... and thats made of plastic...
I haven't tried the "Handpresso," but did get to try this: (http://mypressi.com/) at the SCAA Expo in ATL this year. In spite of my expectations I was really impressed. Seems like the same principle. I'm not exactly sure how much heat is lost during the transfer of water from source to chamber, but it couldn't have been much... the shots of "hairbender" that they were pulling with that thing were amazing!
wow, yeah, that looks a lot better! i guess considering it was at the expo and won best new product, i would trust it over the handpresso. i know it wont be like pullin from the machine at the shop but when you need it on the go i guess it will do! thanks

Shaun Parrish said:
I haven't tried the "Handpresso," but did get to try this: (http://mypressi.com/) at the SCAA Expo in ATL this year. In spite of my expectations I was really impressed. Seems like the same principle. I'm not exactly sure how much heat is lost during the transfer of water from source to chamber, but it couldn't have been much... the shots of "hairbender" that they were pulling with that thing were amazing!
I tested a prototype of a product similar to these a couple years ago with a CO2 cartridge providing the pressure. It was a pretty cool concept and provided a pretty decent shot (providing it came from a hand held). However, I did find that the pressurized air cooled the shot a great deal, creating some under extraction.

It's a cool concept, but the only part i couldn't get past was that you need to provided water off the boil. In my mind, its technically portable, but still very dependent. In a situation where I am backpacking or camping, i tend to favor the plastic press because of the weight and result.

I haven't taken the Aeropress out camping yet, but you might want to try one of these for a fraction of the price.
I have no experience with either of these machines, but in my opinion, better to go without good espresso than go with bad espresso.

Get an aeropress for your trip. Lightweight, cheap, low tech, fast, easy to clean, makes good coffee.
Im really would like to order, but I wonder if it's available in Asia, better in Indonesia. Anyone know the info?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service