Dear All,

My first question in "Equipment & Tech" so please be gentle with me. If it is in the wrong section let me know.

We are a newly opened in Birmingham, England and try to be consistent with our extraction by adjusting the grind or the timer (we have a Anfim Super Caimano Barista Model).  I know that if there an increase in humidity then we need to make the grind coarser. Generally, we only need to make minor modifications, since we use the same roaster, same blend and use the beans within 2-3 weeks of roasting.

Now recently the weather in England has been up and down, hot, dry , humid, damp , cool. So we have had, both doors open, one door open, both doors closed, machine left on over night, machine turned off overnight.

We normally log our grind setting, dry weight, extraction time to get 28g liquid. To allow us to make minor adjustments when needed (i.e after quiet period, new bag opened etc). But over a 2 day period I noticed over 15 shots logged (and thrown away) because different baristas (including myself) were not happy. Thats over a quarter of a kilo.

One the one point, its good that we are looking at our extraction. But as a business owner that is not acceptable. 

Can somebody give me a general guideline on how my extraction would change in the circumstances described above (doors, weather, machine etc), so the the baristas can make bigger adjustments straightway, as opposed to making lots of mini test adjustments, only to make more mini test adjustments.

I hope the question makes sense.

As usual , thanks in advance.

Regards

Dav 

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's from the mouth of one of the employees.  I did forget to mention it was for 2 espressos.  The barista comes in an hour+ early to dial in.  I know it sounds ridiculous.  No way I'd allow waste like that with a trained barista.  Going through that much coffee in a training session is one thing, but I can't imagine it being and every day thing either.  And yes, they roast their own, but that doesn't make much difference.  It's still a crapload of coffee.

Mike McGinness said:

Really, 90 shots everyday to dial in ONE coffee One grinder? If pulling doubles like most shops that's about 3.3lb of coffee at average wholesale cost $9+/lb equals $30. Who wastes that much coffee each and ever day, about $1000 per month, before even opening their doors? I find that very hard to believe.

Which also means they'd be spending a good hour and a half each day to dial in the coffee. So with cost of labor another $18 or so per day make that almost $50 cost per day beans and labor to dial in. Very VERY hard to believe the varacity of the statement.

Daniel Williamson said:

There really isn't a way to get around making many minor adjustments.  I know of a shop that pulls/tastes and dumps 90 shots to get exactly what they want before they open their doors every day.  I'm not necessarily advocating that, but it does put things into perspective.  I understand and appreciate that you are wanting to streamline your business and cut losses, but those are simply operating costs. just my 2 cents

a friendly advice is to air condition the place, so that there would be basically no need to keep changing grinder adjustement because of humidity, and if place is not extra busy stay strictly with instant grinder (doserless): dumping 90 shots before even opening the doors show that the people have no idea what they are dooing, since we normally speak of minor adjustements and I would be very afraid of having to drink that 91st shot...

Ciao, Pietro
Daniel Williamson said:

There really isn't a way to get around making many minor adjustments.  I know of a shop that pulls/tastes and dumps 90 shots to get exactly what they want before they open their doors every day.  I'm not necessarily advocating that, but it does put things into perspective.  I understand and appreciate that you are wanting to streamline your business and cut losses, but those are simply operating costs. just my 2 cents
• Train your baristas with same tech...
• one head barista adjust the grind through out the day...
Hope this might help.

Dav said:
I appreciate that didn't baristas tamp differently, but the first few weeks we were all pretty consistant. The 15 sink shots are both double shots at 18g. So that is over 1/4 Kilo. Since we are new , we are only going through 1 kilo a day, we sell a lot of teas as well. So basically throwing away 1/4 of you whole usage seems a lot

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service