i will be visiting Pittsburg this weekend (22nd-23rd) and was looking for some direction on where to get "the goods"...

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://21streetcoffee.com/

Check them out...
Alsdo's is there too. And volturo, and ... well just go here....

www.espressomap.com
21streetcoffee.com/

Aldo Coffee

... Hmmm... Seems I am slow. :)
Len Sabo, Pittsburgh based and active on coffeegeek.com, took me to 21st St. in the Strip District on one of my business trips to our corporate offices. They were running a 2-group Synesso, which may be why John P. knows of them, (?), and from the more recent website info, it looks like they're growing. There's a commercial roaster close to 21st St. that you might also want to visit.
Just to note, both 21st Street and Aldo (us) use Intelligentsia. I think 21st has two espressos going right now. We just have the Classic. To the other suggestions, I'd add Voluto in the Garfield area (Epic from 49th Paralllel) and Tazza d'Oro in Highland Park (currently doing two espressos, a custom blend and an SO Kenya). Also new shop in Lawrenceville, Espresso a Mano using a nice custom blend from a local roaster.
The BeeHive in the SOuth Side....Cool and not at all corp. The real people of the burgh.
For a traditional Espresso House La Prima in the Strip district. I lived in the burgh and ran a shop there and these two are the only places I would ever go.
Mike said:
The BeeHive in the SOuth Side....Cool and not at all corp. The real people of the burgh.
For a traditional Espresso House La Prima in the Strip district. I lived in the burgh and ran a shop there and these two are the only palces I would ever go.

Mike,
The guy asked for good coffee. Beehive doesn't qualify. It's a Southside neighborhood institution for certain, but it's not because of the coffee.

Lots of shop owners around here trying to change the coffee culture by using better quality and sustainable products with attention to barista training. Most of those shops have been listed already.
well that is of course your opinion...and nothing will ever top LA Prima...unless of course you do not know about traditional espresso shop. no flavors no caramel lattes only espresso and coffee.

Rich Westerfield said:
Mike said:
For a traditional Espresso House La Prima in the Strip district. I lived in the burgh and ran a shop there and these two are the only palces I would ever go.

Mike,
The guy asked for good coffee. Beehive doesn't qualify. It's a Southside neighborhood institution for certain, but it's not because of the coffee.

Lots of shop owners around here trying to change the coffee culture by using better quality and sustainable products with attention to barista training. Most of those shops have been listed already.
Fair point on small menus. We'd love to see more of them. It's a concept that doesn't work outside of urban centers however. And as you've been to our shop, you know we're smack dab in suburbia.

Figuring you must've left Pgh a few years ago.
- Ilio is long gone from LP
- Ilio's successor Matt (whom we think is one of the top baristas in the city), opened his own shop, Espresso a Mano. His espresso is a blend from LP that he created himself and he also uses Counter Culture for press service. It's all hand brews and espresso.
- LP added a smoothie menu a couple of years ago as well as expanded menu options beyond the shot/capp/macchiato.

Btw, thanks for the quote.

Mike said:
well that is of course your opinion...and nothing will ever top LA Prima...unless of course you do not know about traditional espresso shop. no flavors no caramel lattes only espresso and coffee.

i visited pittsburgh in July and had a wonderful experience... almost all of the great coffee shops are in very close proximity to each other, especially 21st, la prima and voluto(which is just right up penn ave. from the other 2). had a great experience with all three of those and with aldo as well. the other thing i would highly recommend you do while you are in the strip district, where 21st and la prima are, is to walk over (i think) 2 blocks and get a primanti brothers sandwich- unbelievable.
I remember you stopping in- thanks for visiting, hope you liked your drinks.
yes, get the sandwich. Fries and slaw on you sandwich sounds crazy but, trust me, you won't forget it.

Jonathan Aldrich said:
i visited pittsburgh in July and had a wonderful experience... almost all of the great coffee shops are in very close proximity to each other, especially 21st, la prima and voluto(which is just right up penn ave. from the other 2). had a great experience with all three of those and with aldo as well. the other thing i would highly recommend you do while you are in the strip district, where 21st and la prima are, is to walk over (i think) 2 blocks and get a primanti brothers sandwich- unbelievable.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service