instead of drip/brewed coffee, we feature french press. i need some clarification. we use bonjour/bodum 48oz presses.
1st off... what's the standard tbl spoon to oz ratio for french press/etc?
b--is there a different tbl spoon to oz ratio depending on what bean/type of coffee one is intending to press?
lastly--if there is a variation, what do you do in your shops? prefer? protocol? best way about things?
:)

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use one tbs / 6oz coffee for all coffees. I am sure that if you play around you can find different ratios and even different grinds that would subtly change the flavor. Its a can of worms if you want to go there. make a different press for yourself everyday and start there. enjoy.
If this is how you are going to brew all coffee for your shop, I would recommend investing in a scale to weigh the coffee rather than scooping it volumetrically as different coffees/roast profiles have varying bean densities and weighing the coffee will provide you with more consistant results. The ratio that we have found works well for our coffees is 1 ounce per liter of water, but YMMV. Do you plan to press each cup to order, or will you have an airpot to serve the house blend in?
Lorenzo Perkins said:
The ratio that we have found works well for our coffees is 1 ounce per liter of water, but YMMV.

I meant to say 2 ounces per liter . . . sorry for the mistype.
Normally our rule of thumb is 1 tablespoon per 6oz of water. But depending on the bean that can fluctuate. For instance our dark roast absorb more water, so we use 8oz of water per tablespoon. Have fun experimenting.
For the 1.5 litre bodums we use 75-90 grams...It's a wide range but some beans need more and some need less. Usually we fall around 78-80 grams/1.5 litre.
I'm a little (lot) on the obsessive-compulsive side of this, but here's my method:
I start at 85 grams of coffee in the 1.5 l Bodums.
Then, I add the ground coffee to a preheated glass press.
Place it on a scale and tare it. (yes, I weigh out the water)
Add 1135 grams of water.
Wait 10-20 seconds and stir the bloom (gently!).
Place plunger in press and lower until it is just below the surface of water.
Let brew for 4 minutes, press reasonably slow and pour into airpot.
Taste and make any needed adjustments.

Sometimes, I use as little as 80 g of coffee but very rarely over 85, I try to use the same amount of water regardless to minimize that variable. Some coffees/roasts need a shorter brew time, that's why tasting is important ;).

Stickman said:
For the 1.5 litre bodums we use 75-90 grams...It's a wide range but some beans need more and some need less. Usually we fall around 78-80 grams/1.5 litre.
the past two post are right, weigh it out in grams. a good start point is 60g per liter of water or roughly 7g per 4oz of water. Obviously work it out to your taste.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service