Hey all, I know people have argued the pros and cons of both flat burr and conical burr grinders for espresso.... Can anyone here with experience with both provide some insight as to their preference? Thanks!

Views: 7550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have worked on mahlkonig, mazzer sj, Compak K10 Conic, Mazzer Robur and a handful of others... you really can't beat a conical in terms of what ends up in quality in the cup, in my opinion.
I agree. I have used Mahlkonig, mazzer sj, mazzer major, mazzer robur, anfim super camino, compak etc.....
I can't really think of too many advantages to having flat burrs, but I can think of quite a few for conical.

There is more too a conical burr, so they are more temperature stable.
The coffee is gravity fed directly into a conical burr, and it has to change directions with a flat burr.
Quality conical burrs cut the coffee gradually down to the appropriate size, and flat burrs essentially crush the coffee and then cut it.

Flat burrs do cool quicker than conical.
I have a compak, slower, quieter, more consistent grind, not as hot...superior.
If you have a injection machine (pump), the grinder conical gives a better results in the cup. But if you have a lever machine (La Pavoni...) or hydraulic machine, flat burrs are better.
Why is this the case? or is it inexplicable like many things espresso?
Sébastien RACINEUX said:
If you have a injection machine (pump), the grinder conical gives a better results in the cup. But if you have a lever machine (La Pavoni...) or hydraulic machine, flat burrs are better.
I suggest you read through the Titan Grinder Project posts. They go off-track here and there, but if you have a spare hour or so, it's a really informative read. I kinda followed it while all of the grinders were being shipped around and it was pretty cool. Anyway, here is the link.

-bry
Conical burrs give a less homogeneous than flat burrs. Furthermore, the distribution gives two peaks, one peak of very fine powder which gives the complex aromas. But this pic of a fine powder with the malfunctioning machine and hydraulic lever because during the rise of the piston, the powder back into the group.

Jesse -D-> said:
Why is this the case? or is it inexplicable like many things espresso?
Sébastien RACINEUX said:
Bryan Wray said:
I suggest you read through the Titan Grinder Project posts. They go off-track here and there, but if you have a spare hour or so, it's a really informative read. I kinda followed it while all of the grinders were being shipped around and it was pretty cool. Anyway, here is the link.

-bry

Thanks for the info. Exactly what i was looking for. Reading through it now...
Conical burr grinders are able to produce a more even ground and assure that your espresso is not heated during grinding, which would reduce the aroma of the coffee. Do not compromise your coffee with the cheap grinder. On the lower side, italian made Lelit PL043 is the best shot. The grind range is from the finest one (for the Turkish coffee) to the very coarse one, and everything in between. Besides, it looks classy too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service