Espresso Machines: Which is better Nuova Simonelli or La Marzocco

I want to open a shop and I would like some advice about which machines people think are the best. I would like a 3group and cost is not an issue.

Views: 10207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Both companies make comparable machines. Which machines were you looking at from each company? La Marzocco just came out with a brand new machine that is supposed to be amazing. Nuova has impecable customer service though. Also, if cost is not an issue, you should check out Synesso.
We use a nuova simonelli aurelia 3group and it's amazingly consistent. great shots every time i really dig the heater on top. Also two steam wands and an auto wand if you're into that sort of thing. I can't go back to anything less.
We have a 2 Simonelli 2 group Aurelias. They have been amazingly consistent and reliable. I admit that i don't know a ton about Marzocco, but they seem to be the industry standard right now. I love my Aurelia, beautiful machine, great ergonomics (big factor to consider), and really easy to clean, work with. It also seems that Simonellis are a bit less expensive than a comparable Marzocco. Keep dong your homework, and see if you can get some demos, maybe even at local shops that have those machines
dual boiler system vs. heat exchangers is always better so la marzocco is a winner, new paddle model is more than amazing and worth every penny. and if you ask about new comming model with boiler and pump for each group...thats anothet world...
any info about la marzocco, please, be free to ask...
Agreed. This machine is truly going to take espresso into the future. Yet, it is also highly specialized and will take a great deal of skill to rangle. What are your thoughts on someone new to the biz getting one of these?

nik orosi said:
dual boiler system vs. heat exchangers is always better so la marzocco is a winner, new paddle model is more than amazing and worth every penny. and if you ask about new comming model with boiler and pump for each group...thats anothet world...
any info about la marzocco, please, be free to ask...
I heartily agree with Nick. Dual boiler is going to be the best for consistency. Also, marzocco uses stainless steel for its group heads which is, on the whole, more temp stable and WAYYYYYYYYYY easier to maintain when cleaning. marzocco components seem to be a little more crafted and less manufactured. Simonelli is the most stable exchanger I've used, but dual boiler always wins in my book.
wont be fair for me to say that la marzocco is the best, but it is really....
i was happy to visit the factory and see that this is something so different, everything is hand made, everything is changing day by day, they keep going on and questioning and listening to others and what others expect from the machine...so they work and work...
new machine that was shown at scaa this year from inside looks great and im sad that i cannot put pictures on the net, not cos they said no, but i want first machine to go out and then we all can see whats in...so boilers from gs3 that are more stable than gb5 on each head, teflon covered all the pipes and contacts, high power pumps for each group, new board, new steaming, new group heads and circulation of water thrue them that keeps all even more constant...crazy...recovery??? try nuova with 40 or so shots and try marzocco and see the temperature...once again, nothing against nuova, wish i can test slayer but till then, only two words; la marzocco!!!

Chris DeMarse said:
I heartily agree with Nick. Dual boiler is going to be the best for consistency. Also, marzocco uses stainless steel for its group heads which is, on the whole, more temp stable and WAYYYYYYYYYY easier to maintain when cleaning. marzocco components seem to be a little more crafted and less manufactured. Simonelli is the most stable exchanger I've used, but dual boiler always wins in my book.
I cannot wait to get my hands on this machine!! Sounds too good to be true. Once again though, is this realistic for a beginner?

nik orosi said:
i was happy to visit the factory and see that this is something so different, everything is hand made, everything is changing day by day, they keep going on and questioning and listening to others and what others expect from the machine...so they work and work...
new machine that was shown at scaa this year from inside looks great and im sad that i cannot put pictures on the net, not cos they said no, but i want first machine to go out and then we all can see whats in...so boilers from gs3 that are more stable than gb5 on each head, teflon covered all the pipes and contacts, high power pumps for each group, new board, new steaming, new group heads and circulation of water thrue them that keeps all even more constant...crazy...recovery??? try nuova with 40 or so shots and try marzocco and see the temperature...once again, nothing against nuova, wish i can test slayer but till then, only two words; la marzocco!!!

Chris DeMarse said:
Another vote for La Marzocco, especially since you say that cost is not an issue. The dual boiler is a definite advantage over a single boiler heat exchanger, plus La Marz has long been known for impecable quality and reliability. That's not to say that the Simonelli Aurellia is a bad machine, it's a very very good machine and an exceptionally good value. It's just not on the same level with La Marzocco when cost is no consideration.
Joe,
"Beginner" questions are all relative to how much training you expect to do. In my experience as a trainer and as an instructor at a coffee school, the more automation you have the more people let things slide. It might be best for a "beginner" to have experience with a manual extraction rather than a semi-auto just because it pushes both understanding and technique.. but that's just my take on it.....
Joe Marrocco said:
I cannot wait to get my hands on this machine!! Sounds too good to be true. Once again though, is this realistic for a beginner?

nik orosi said:

Chris DeMarse said:
iv started with la san marco, then faema, and then so many others till i had my hands on la marzocco...and that was it! all that i was searching for...almost...for grinder im still searching...
so easy to cean, maintain, learn from just looking at, easy to learn about coffee, lower or higher temp, splashing gives you what needed, setting temperatures in seconds, on board counter for shots, all that helps for beginners to understand why and where and many other questions. also and for profesionals, you can geek and geek with la marzocco, p.i.d. etc...never ending... again, la marzocco is so different, synesso and slayer are (probably) fab, my shame that i didnt touch them yet...
i belive that with marzocco you can learn more..again, try splash nuova for 10 sec....and like that for each cup...
Thanks for all your feedback. So la marzocco is what I thought I wanted anyway. So what else do I need to know about the machine? How can I find out about how they work exactly I want to be able to fix it if I have an issue. Also Do any of you have suggestions about owning a shop; maybe some things that I probably would not even think of but will probably run into while starting?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service