Looking to start Cuppings and Tastings @ our shop. Need to know if there is special equipment needed, and how exactly to host a cupping event. Thanks! 

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might start by purchasing Lingle's Coffee Cupper's Handbook.

I wouldn't try to host any kind of a cupping event until you are very comfortable doing it, know how to teach it, and have a good idea of what it is you're trying to accomplish by doing so.

Cups, spoons, grinder, a way to boil water, timers, cupping sheets.

Isn't that roughly the equipment list that you've observed at the cuppings you've attended?

Agree with Matt, by the way. There's actually quite a bit to doing it right. I had a chance to attend Counter Culture's "Cupping Leaders Lab" class a few months back. It was a good lab that took several hours to cover most of the material to help us lead a cupping. I found it quite useful. Maybe there's something similar in your area?

I used to do coffee tastings as opposed to cupping. To me, cupping implies testing coffee for quality or specific characteristics. This is probably too mundane for the average customer (although I believe people would enjoy watching a live cupping demo).

When doing tastings I would prepare french presses with each coffee to be sampled. I used little 4 oz paper cups. In order to communicate different flavors I would have foods that correspond to the noted flavor. i.e. hazelnuts and almonds to demonstrate nutty, mushrooms for earthy, chocolate for chocolate, etc. When a person tastes the food then drinks the coffee it really helps them recognize what you're talking about.

I also enjoyed throwing in a mystery coffee. This coffee was always something like folgers or maxwell house, anything from a can. The customers all were able to tell this was not high quality and provided a memorable way to point out how specialty coffee is different.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service