Hi All, I am opening a second cafe, and we are really trying to move toward customer education in the way of traditional sized cappuccino's (5-6oz) and lattes (traditionally 5-6oz, but up to 12oz.). We don't want to be militant about our size offerings, but we also don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot by not offering the larger sizes that customers are typically looking for. How should we address this on our menu boards and with our customers without making it too confusing for those not as savvy about coffee? All input would be helpful! Thanks!

Views: 4079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't believe all the great feedback. I just joined barista exchange and was not expecting such an open and honest forum of communication. What a great tool for coffee geeks! I will definitely use the "thick latte" as a means for education and I think I will use the "classic" subsection for our traditional espresso drinks. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
For me this thread is quite fascinating - we just don't have the issues you're describing down here in Oz.

Our takeaways come in two sizes - regular (8oz), and large (12oz). Our have-ins also come in two sizes, but are significantly smaller. Our large have-ins are all served in 8oz cups, and the regular have-ins range between 4oz and about 6.5oz depending on the drink.
I have to say, if I were to open a cafe in the states I wouldn't do things any differently - I would focus on doing things perfectly to these standards with little room for flexibility. I wouldn't lose customers - I just wouldn't gain a bunch - those who want 16oz or 20oz lattes can go elsewhere, we have no place for you here.

End rant.
Thanks for your feedback Alex. People are definitely trying to get educated here in Ohio and we're trying in our own small way to help that along. While we do offer the monster 16oz drink for those that just don't get it, we have decided to list our cappuccino's and latte's as "classics" opening up the opportunity for conversation. Our 2nd cafe opens in 12 days----but I think I'm going to reformat our menu's to ask "so, what exactly is a cappuccino?" too! It blatantly opens the door to education without any tippy-toeing around the answer. It's perfect, really! Thanks.

Alex said:
For me this thread is quite fascinating - we just don't have the issues you're describing down here in Oz.

Our takeaways come in two sizes - regular (8oz), and large (12oz). Our have-ins also come in two sizes, but are significantly smaller. Our large have-ins are all served in 8oz cups, and the regular have-ins range between 4oz and about 6.5oz depending on the drink.
I have to say, if I were to open a cafe in the states I wouldn't do things any differently - I would focus on doing things perfectly to these standards with little room for flexibility. I wouldn't lose customers - I just wouldn't gain a bunch - those who want 16oz or 20oz lattes can go elsewhere, we have no place for you here.

End rant.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service