the restaurant i work at only has one size of cup for lattes and cappucinos, about 6 ounces. i'm having trouble making a notable difference between the two so i've been pouring caps as doubles and lattes as singles. is there a better way i could be doing this?

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris said:
Jared Rutledge said:
nah, i mean, my lattes are doubles in 12 oz, which is exactly double my "tradizionale" cappuccinos (to italian/competition standard 1 shot, 6 oz).

Ehm... ?!?
"Secondo la sperimentazione condotta dall’Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano il cappuccino di qualità e rispettoso della tradizione è composto da 25 ml di espresso e da 100 ml di latte montato con vapore. Alla base del Cappuccino Italiano Certificato c’è sempre un Espresso Italiano Certificato, un espresso preparato in onformità alle regole previste nella certificazione a marchio Espresso Italiano (certificazione di conformità di rodotto del CSQA n. 214 del 24 settembre 1999, DTP 008 Ed. 1)."
The Italian Espresso National Institute"

My Italian is kinda rusty, but that says to me that 25ml of espresso is extracted with 100 ml of milk, frothed with steam, for a 125 ml cappuccino. Served in a 150 to 160 ml cup, that would make 5.4 ounces *total* the largest "tradizionale". Competition used to have standards, but so many baristi were 'Starbuckized' that they couldn't wrap their heads around a 125 ml capp, so they caved.
Yer preachin' to the choir here, Jared. I been bitchin' at the BGA to decide on a standard for a few years yet, and all I get back is that 'standards make us all cookie cutters and conformists. We're artists and need to espress ourselves." Whatev...
I look forward to the day when I can order a traditional cappuccino with a doppio in it in place of a single shot, and have a barista look at me with anything more positive than a nipper.
Get with your BGA regional rep, and suggest that they (as the supposed Guild Guardians of the Art and Craft of Baristahood) decide what is a what, and issue a BGA certified standard. Or, you could let Starbucsk, McD's, and Dunkin' start setting trends and standards.

Thanks for posting the definition. Whether you adhere to it or not, it's pretty relevant to the conversation.

I will make one small correction in your math though... 125mL is 4.2 fl-oz. I believe what is meant is that you take 100mL (3.4 fl-oz) cold milk and froth it. Once stretched by 1 oz, or 33% and added to a 1oz espresso you end up at your 5.5 oz total drink volume.
John Berkness said:
A cappucino obviously should have more texture (foam) due to its namesake ( the billowing white robes of the cappucin monks), we serve ours bone dry, not one drop of liquid milk, Just foam.

Billowing white robes, eh?

http://www.baristaexchange.com/forum/topics/capuchin-monk-pics

When you say just foam, do you mean fully-incorporated microfoam that will settle out to some fraction foam, some fraction milk, or do you really mean dry foam scooped from the top of the pitcher?
ok so now I know that not all the hoods or cappuccio may have been particularly white. and we use dry foam.

Brady said:
John Berkness said:
A cappucino obviously should have more texture (foam) due to its namesake ( the billowing white robes of the cappucin monks), we serve ours bone dry, not one drop of liquid milk, Just foam.

Billowing white robes, eh?

http://www.baristaexchange.com/forum/topics/capuchin-monk-pics

When you say just foam, do you mean fully-incorporated microfoam that will settle out to some fraction foam, some fraction milk, or do you really mean dry foam scooped from the top of the pitcher?
Ehm, Cappuchin Monks were given the name because of the Yarmulka like 'caps (same etymology) that they wore. And then they started wearing white ones, so there was a large brown robe topped with a white cap.
And, the traditional and first 'latte art' was a perfect circle of foam nestled in a ring of crema, called a 'Monk's head' pour. Kinda looks like looking down on the top of a Cappuchin Monk. Not unlike the Cappuchin Monkey, who is all brown with a white 'cap'.
The cappuccino (little hat) looks like the white monk's cap on top of a brown-robed monk.
It ain't rocket surgery...

Anyhoo, that's how the VERY Italian Camera operator from my last film gig explained it to me.
Chris said:
Ehm, Cappuchin Monks were given the name because of the Yarmulka like 'caps (same etymology) that they wore. And then they started wearing white ones, so there was a large brown robe topped with a white cap.
And, the traditional and first 'latte art' was a perfect circle of foam nestled in a ring of crema, called a 'Monk's head' pour. Kinda looks like looking down on the top of a Cappuchin Monk. Not unlike the Cappuchin Monkey, who is all brown with a white 'cap'.
The cappuccino (little hat) looks like the white monk's cap on top of a brown-robed monk.
It ain't rocket surgery...

Anyhoo, that's how the VERY Italian Camera operator from my last film gig explained it to me.

Interesting. Not sure if you read the thread that I linked to just now, but at the time I challenged someone to produce a pic or some definitive documentation that supported the link to the monks. Not that your camera operator isn't definitive :). I like the white cap with brown robe thing though - this sounds plausible, even if I've yet to see a picture of a Capucin wearing anything other than a brown cap...
I'm a Cappuchin Monk and I wear purple spandex with a gold foil turban.

Definitive.
Brady said:
Interesting. Not sure if you read the thread that I linked to just now,.

Yep, and one of your contributors to that thread, Carter said, ”it would mean that the Capuchin monks wore the same hoods as the Camaldolese monks, at least during that time. My Google searches show that many Camaldolese monks wear all white (especially in older paintings)..."
Brown Robes, white caps.
Lot at this Pic of a capuchin Monkey. Sailors called 'em that becasue they looked like the Monks of that order. Brown Robes, white caps.

On the other hand, there are those that suggest that the brown robes are the crema, and the foam is the shaved clerical tonsorial exclamation that the monks are slaves to Christ, following the tradition that Romans had of shaving the heads of their slaves.

It's bound to remain a mystery....
Ryan Soeder said:

Definitive.

You sure you're Capuchin order? Sounds more San Franciscan to me :).
Chris, hope you don't mind, but I've ported some of those replies over to the other thread... I think you've nailed it.
What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Chris said:
Brady said:
Interesting. Not sure if you read the thread that I linked to just now,.

Yep, and one of your contributors to that thread, Carter said, ”it would mean that the Capuchin monks wore the same hoods as the Camaldolese monks, at least during that time. My Google searches show that many Camaldolese monks wear all white (especially in older paintings)..."
Brown Robes, white caps.
Lot at this Pic of a capuchin Monkey. Sailors called 'em that becasue they looked like the Monks of that order. Brown Robes, white caps.

On the other hand, there are those that suggest that the brown robes are the crema, and the foam is the shaved clerical tonsorial exclamation that the monks are slaves to Christ, following the tradition that Romans had of shaving the heads of their slaves.

It's bound to remain a mystery....
Brady said:
Chris, hope you don't mind, but I've ported some of those replies over to the other thread... I think you've nailed it.

It's mostly guesswork and reminiscence, but you're welcome to it. I've added a bit to it over there since...

Mitch Buckner - Bella Caffe said:
What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

What? Er, I don't know...

AAAAAUUUUUGGHHhhhhhhhh......
Somewhat serendipitously, this made 1.25oz of the cappuccino I was sipping (a 6oz beverage with 1.5oz of espresso, 3oz of milk, and 1.5oz of foam) come out of my nose and now I have to clean my computer screen of the 1.75oz of espresso, milk, foam, and saliva that sprayed from my mouth.

...thanks.

Brady said:
Ryan Soeder said:

Definitive.

You sure you're Capuchin order? Sounds more San Franciscan to me :).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service