Does anyone have any sort of rig they have set up in their car to boil water and brew coffee while on the road?  Not actually while driving but on the side of the road maybe.  I've got some ideas but they either involve expensive power inverters or waaaaay slow water kettles.  I just don't want to drop three bills on an inverter or wait 30 minutes to boil water.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks!

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We use a honda 2000 and a air pot brewer or astra pro works great for espresso.
Thanks for the reply Tom.  That sounds like a killer on-the-road set up.  I wish I could set up something like that in my car but for now I have to settle for something a little smaller scale. I was thinking more along the lines of an electric water kettle and a pour over.

This is what I take camping and on the road

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cultr/4806851637/

Jet Boil Java

This would be awesome. I've got one of their camp stove sets their stuff is really nice
Awesome man! That's what I need.  How long does it take boil water with that?  That picture makes me want to go camping!

Jesse Bladyka said:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NP30HC/ref=asc_df_B000NP30HC1425192?sm...

And a kettle, Skerton and my Clever dripper.

And I'm very guilty of making coffee while cruising. 

Faster than you can grind beans with a skerton! It will heat 16oz to boil in rougly 3 minutes with white gas, a little longer with high octane gasoline. If you've never used white gas stoves make sure that you read the directions carefully and practice in a place where you can't burn anything down!

zack burnett said:
Awesome man! That's what I need.  How long does it take boil water with that?  That picture makes me want to go camping!

Jesse Bladyka said:

Right on Jesse!  But it won't be able to beat my Skerton once I attach the grinder to my power drill.  :) Or maybe it will if I destroy the burrs with the modification.  I'll be sure to practice as I don't want to start any fires.

Melanie, how much power does your kettle require?  My kettle is 1500watt, 120volts and it heats 1 liter in about 4 minutes. I think I would need a much larger inverter to power it.  But I don't really know how those inverters work so I may be wrong. All of the low watt kettles I have seen take 15 to 30 minutes to heat a liter of water.

That Jet Boil is really cool looking too Jason.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Jetboils are cool.  I take one on motorcycle trips as they are tidy and quite compact.  My inverter is 1500 watts and I use an old bodum kettle I've had since college.  It take about 3 or 4 minutes for a boil. I've also run my laptop at the same time.

I was lucky and got the inverter at a garage sale for $10 about 5 years ago.  I can't imagine actually paying full price.

;)  at least I don't text and drive.
zack burnett said:

Right on Jesse!  But it won't be able to beat my Skerton once I attach the grinder to my power drill.  :) Or maybe it will if I destroy the burrs with the modification.  I'll be sure to practice as I don't want to start any fires.

Melanie, how much power does your kettle require?  My kettle is 1500watt, 120volts and it heats 1 liter in about 4 minutes. I think I would need a much larger inverter to power it.  But I don't really know how those inverters work so I may be wrong. All of the low watt kettles I have seen take 15 to 30 minutes to heat a liter of water.

That Jet Boil is really cool looking too Jason.

Thanks for the replies guys!

We do straight pourover at events and don't want to rely on electricity, so we use:  double camp stove burner hooked up to the smaller sized refillable propane tank.  A bpa free water container (around 5 gal) filled with filtered water.  And have two water kettles boiling at the same time so we don't run out of hot water.  Pour the regular kettle into the buono kettle for pourover.  Unfortunately without electricity we have to pre-grind the beans as close to go-time as possible.  Thought about using the hand grinder coffee mills, but that sounds like carpal tunnel waiting to happen.

Thanks Christopher.  Yeah, hand grinding can take a while even at home, I can only imagine how hard it would be to do at a production level.  I'm a homebrewer(beer) and when I buy grains at the homebrew store they mill them with a hand mill attached to a power drill.  I know coffee grinding requires more accuracy than milling grains but I don't know why the same approach wouldn't work.  I'll try the hand grinder (Skerton) attached to a battery powered drill as soon as I get a chance and let you know how it works.  I'll either wreck my grinder or I'll find a good way to grind quickly while on the go.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service