Hey all,

A common theme that seems to be popping up is questions relating to the science behind coffee and espresso.

Does anyone know of any books that are more technical and break down coffee to a molecular level to better explain the science behind the "perfect" cup of coffee or shot of espresso?

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not entirely sure it's what you're looking for, but the closest I can think is "Espresso Coffee: The Science of Quality" by Andrea Illy and Rinantonio Viani. I'm currently working through it, it's very much a text book on coffee from start to finish.
Thank-you Samantha, I will have to check that out!

Nathan
Id agree with this book being the go to guide, but it is quite expensive... I would almost recommend finding a friend that has a copy and borrowing it. There are some parts where the information is very interesting but not very applicable to everyday coffee shop stuff. But, it would give and interested person more background on what they are actually doing with the coffee they work with...

Samantha Bako said:
I'm not entirely sure it's what you're looking for, but the closest I can think is "Espresso Coffee: The Science of Quality" by Andrea Illy and Rinantonio Viani. I'm currently working through it, it's very much a text book on coffee from start to finish.
Wow, I was just able to request it through inter-library loan! I can't wait.
Michael Sivetz, Coffee Technology
It might be too complex and not what you are exactly looking for. But it shows all the molecules possible present in coffee. I would say, it is only for engineers in food industry, and researchers in chemistry.

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471720380.html
that Flament book, Coffee Flavor Chemistry, is a hoot. It's really a chemistry book (thank god my girlfriend is a scientist). But it's neat to paw through, especially if you have or are someone who knows the chemistry stuff and can translate for you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service