Im on an espresso quest to taste all the best espresso blends(or s/o) in America(or the world for that matter). I want to hear what you guys think are the best, so i can buy them online and try them myself. So Ill go first, so far my top three in no particular order are: Stumptowns "Hairbender", Sightglass's "owls howl", and an espresso from Counter Culture(dont know what it was called, sorry). So what are your favorites?

Views: 1446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

have you try the epic espresso from 49th paralell

Hines Origins Organic Espresso.

http://www.originscoffee.com/coffees.html

Seven Hills out of Cincinnati Ohio

Dark Matter Coffee in Chicago - try their Ganesha AND the Unicorn Blood.

(plus, Unicorn Blood is just an awesome name.)

Black Cat from Intelligencia and Epic from 49th Parallel are my favorites

HaHa, yes! that might just be the most awesome name ever!

Lindsey said:

Dark Matter Coffee in Chicago - try their Ganesha AND the Unicorn Blood.

(plus, Unicorn Blood is just an awesome name.)

Hmm two for 49th parallel, I will definaly be purchasing that. I check out the website and I really like that they gave specifics about brew temp, dosing, etc. It gives me a starting point, and it saves me some time and coffee. It also shows me that they are super serious about there coffee. Keep the suggestions coming and thanks to everyone that has responded thus far!

Also love Fernwood on 

Vancouver Island

Honestly, this is such a broad question it will be hard to gain many specifics.  Not too mention coffee is always changing.  By the time you make it through 10-15 different suggestions it will be a new year, a new crop, and there will be new favorites.  

Best place to start is by doing something like this, site:baristaexchange.com best espresso blend into your search bar.  Endless opinions, better filtering, less site clutter and repeat threads.

Either way, for me, right now:

-Best espresso so far in 2011 for me is Piramide by Stumptown pulled by Marty at BARISTA here in PDX a couple Saturdays ago.

- I think the best blend available at this moment is Big Truck from Olympia.  I love the way their Worka screams through the middle and how cleanly it finishes.

- Counter Culture's Worka is absolutely stunning.  So much fruit in there.

- Michicoy from Barefoot is ridiculous.

- David Mencia from Coava is amazing, even better as pour-over.

- Gashongo from Intelligentsia is explosive.

- Hairbender is better now than it has been in a couple years.  Really digging the grapefruit that's coming off of it right now.  Hating it in milk though, it's really been awfully, overly savory.  Carrot stew capps are not my thing (and this is from multiple top notch baristas at some of the best places in the country).

Personally, we bust ass for our espresso blends, so a shameless plug:

http://compasscoffeeroasting.com

Personal favorites of our lineup right now are:

- Mullet Squad (whimsical name, serious espresso) which is a blend of Daterra, Sidama and Peru Naranjillo.  It's ridiculously dynamic.

- Ethiopia Sidama SCFCU (S/O)

- Sulawesi Toraja (day 5 specifically)

-bry

Thanks, I almost stated at the end of my post it wouldn't necessarily matter if I found an old thread, cause as you stated coffees change. I'm currently pulling shots of Coava's Benjamin Mirande Honduras, and there Ethopian as espresso. The Honduras is the better of the two(for some reason I thought itwould be the other way around).

I kind of dubbed myself the pied piper of espresso, I think most peoples(not here) perception of espresso is a bitter cup of nasty.(ill admit, it was mine years ago) Thats why sugary milky drinks are so popular. So i do my best to show anyone who will listen how amazing and enjoyable espresso by itself can be.

Bryan Wray said:

Honestly, this is such a broad question it will be hard to gain many specifics.  Not too mention coffee is always changing.  By the time you make it through 10-15 different suggestions it will be a new year, a new crop, and there will be new favorites.  

Best place to start is by doing something like this, site:baristaexchange.com best espresso blend into your search bar.  Endless opinions, better filtering, less site clutter and repeat threads.

-Best espresso so far in 2011 for me is Piramide by Stumptown pulled by Marty at BARISTA here in PDX a couple Saturdays ago.

- I think the best blend available at this moment is Big Truck from Olympia.  I love the way their Worka screams through the middle and how cleanly it finishes.

- Hairbender is better now than it has been in a couple years.  Really digging the grapefruit that's coming off of it right now.  Hating it in milk though, it's really been awfully, overly savory.  Carrot stew capps are not my thing (and this is from multiple top notch baristas at some of the best places in the country).

- Mullet Squad (whimsical name, serious espresso) which is a blend of Daterra, Sidama and Peru Naranjillo.  It's ridiculously dynamic.

-bry

Which Ethiopian?  The Kemgin is amazing.  Absolutely stunning, I left it off my list because I think the David Mencia is way better, but the Kemgin is up there for best African SO I've had this year.  What are your specs?  I know (roughly) where they were pulling it, but it was pretty standard.  200f, dosing about 19.5, double yielding 1.25, think it was day 6, let it sit for about 30 before stirring and drinking.  A lot of plum and tons of bright berry.  I dig the Benji (we call it Benji, lol) but not as an espresso.  It's way better as a slow brew, IMO.  To be honest, the Kemgin should have blown the Mirando away.  Did you have the espresso roasts or brewed roasts?

-bry

Dustin DeMers said:

Thanks, I almost stated at the end of my post it wouldn't necessarily matter if I found an old thread, cause as you stated coffees change. I'm currently pulling shots of Coava's Benjamin Mirande Honduras, and there Ethopian as espresso. The Honduras is the better of the two(for some reason I thought itwould be the other way around).

I kind of dubbed myself the pied piper of espresso, I think most peoples(not here) perception of espresso is a bitter cup of nasty.(ill admit, it was mine years ago) Thats why sugary milky drinks are so popular. So i do my best to show anyone who will listen how amazing and enjoyable espresso by itself can be.

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

Ya its the Kemgin espresso roasted, I havnt had a chance to really dial it in. But it seems harder to dial in, I took the honduras out of the bag dosed about 25g into a triple basket, 200f, roughtly 2 to 2.5 oz in the cup(I have yet to start weighing my shots) and it was amazing.  I did the same with the ethopian and it was so-so. The Ethiopian seems a lot more finicky, each shot I pull seems different.  So ya, Im going to email them right now and ask what brewing parameters they suggest. Ill try waiting 30 secs, and stiring and seeing if that improves things.

Bryan Wray said:

Which Ethiopian?  The Kemgin is amazing.  Absolutely stunning, I left it off my list because I think the David Mencia is way better, but the Kemgin is up there for best African SO I've had this year.  What are your specs?  I know (roughly) where they were pulling it, but it was pretty standard.  200f, dosing about 19.5, double yielding 1.25, think it was day 6, let it sit for about 30 before stirring and drinking.  A lot of plum and tons of bright berry.  I dig the Benji (we call it Benji, lol) but not as an espresso.  It's way better as a slow brew, IMO.  To be honest, the Kemgin should have blown the Mirando away.  Did you have the espresso roasts or brewed roasts?

-bry

Dustin DeMers said:

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service