ok. so what is your favorite method of making coffee?

chemex? 
french press?
or
drip?

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I grew up using a Chemex. I like it because I can have a pour-over for more than just one cup. And I need more than just one cup in the morning.
why not use them all and pair the coffee to the brewing method that best highlights its characteristics.

It is what we do: sprocoffee.com
never siphoned before...what is the method you use?

Luke deWaal said:
Siphon.
Nice website Jay. if I ever get down to MD, I will definitely come thru.
You failed to mention Full Immersion Clever Dripper...

This is a great way to brew with nice control over the actual brew time.
Way too much heat loss on a Clever for me to give it too much credit.

-bry

David Lanning said:

Not true...

After a four minute immersion brew, my temperature in the cup is 164 degrees.

Still well above the optimal serving temperature of 140 degrees.

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

David Lanning said:

David Lanning said:
Not true...

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

David Lanning said:

While that's true, we're more worried about maintaining optimum extraction temperature.
Though my experience with steep and release brewers is pretty limited, 4 minutes seems longer than necessary to get a decent extraction (and obviously is just begging for temperature loss). Much shorter steep times can be used, and a lid will help with heat loss quite a bit as well.

Brady said:

David Lanning said:
Not true...

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

David Lanning said:

While that's true, we're more worried about maintaining optimum extraction temperature.
beemer, benz or bentley?
None of the above: dragster. IE for a "cup of coffee" 99.9% of the time prefer Americano. Drinking a quite dynamic and delish after dinner Yirga Cheff Koke WP Americano as I type. (Koke long gone from our offerings, beans roasted Feb 2010 10 months in our kitchen freezer:)

I've entertained for dozens of people at a time numerous times, all coffeegeeks many advanced homeroasters, many who never knew an Americano of countless Single Origins and or blends could taste so good. Started more than one down the path of the Dark Side in their homes because of an Americano. IMO you just can't get some of the flavor the bean has to offer any other way.

Now if you want a lighter bodied crystaline bell ringer type of cup again method not listed, vac' done properly can't be beat.
Exactly right, 164... Which is a solid 40 DEGREES lower than what we should be brewing coffee at. No wonder the brews off of a Clever are so "smooth." Kind of like cold brewed coffee... "MMM, lack of complexity and dynamics."

By setting the Clever on top of a cup of off boil water while brewing and keeping a lid and towel around it I've managed to obtain thermocouple readings at no higher than 178 in the middle of the slurry. I know Mr. Coffee machines with better temperature management than that.

I think it's a great concept, but a horrible example of the concept. Maybe if we just plugged the holes on a giant ceramic Melitta and then let it brew through after 3ish minutes? The ceramic would have to hold temperature better...

I dunno.

-bry

David Lanning said:
Not true...

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

David Lanning said:

While we won't agree here (which is what makes the world an interesting place) just wanted to clarify:

1) I stated that the temperature is 164 degrees AFTER steeping for four minutes and AFTER the coffee has dripped into the cup. This is NOT the brewing temperature.

2) The dripper does utilize a lid.

3) I don't want to sidetrack Dan's main question which is what type of brewer do you like. Not a debate on the virtues of Full Immersion Brewing with the Clever Dripper.

Bryan Wray said:
Exactly right, 164... Which is a solid 40 DEGREES lower than what we should be brewing coffee at. No wonder the brews off of a Clever are so "smooth." Kind of like cold brewed coffee... "MMM, lack of complexity and dynamics."

By setting the Clever on top of a cup of off boil water while brewing and keeping a lid and towel around it I've managed to obtain thermocouple readings at no higher than 178 in the middle of the slurry. I know Mr. Coffee machines with better temperature management than that.

I think it's a great concept, but a horrible example of the concept. Maybe if we just plugged the holes on a giant ceramic Melitta and then let it brew through after 3ish minutes? The ceramic would have to hold temperature better...

I dunno.

-bry

David Lanning said:
Not true...

Bryan Wray said:

-bry

David Lanning said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service