I am curious to know how many shops put one shot in each drink unless people ask for more? and how many shops use 1 shot for a small 2 for a large (or however)?

We use 1 triple ristretto for each drink, if you want more ten you pay an up charge. What are you doing?

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We serve several sizes of most drinks and scale the shots to keep a consistent flavor across the lineup.
wow that was fast. Do you ever get people who want less spro in their giant cup of bubble gum flavored warm milk?
Occasionally, but we have them try it "our way" first... offering to re-make it if they don't like it. I may have re-made one.

I think this is mostly because, while our drinks have more espresso in them than our nearest competitors, our shots are much smoother.

More often is a request by first-timers for more espresso... which depending on the drink, we may again have them try it our way first. Some drinks are more robust by design than others. Again, some people are expecting a 12oz single latte... our 12 oz latte is a ristretto double.
When you say triple ristretto, are you using one portafilter with a deep basket? And hoiw many grams if using a triple basket?

This is what we do (you have me thinking to re-evaluate) 8oz-1 12oz-2 16oz-2 20oz-3or4
roughly 21g, we adjust depending on flavor.

That is a lot of caffine.

ray peck said:
When you say triple ristretto, are you using one portafilter with a deep basket? And hoiw many grams if using a triple basket?

This is what we do (you have me thinking to re-evaluate) 8oz-1 12oz-2 16oz-2 20oz-3or4
to me referring to shots as single and double and triple gets a little convoluted. depending on the espresso i pull between 17 and 21.5 grams per basket. i use ridgeless "synesso" style 18 gram baskets. i wish the whole single double triple jargon was not so prevalent in our industry, so customers can really grasp what their intake is!!! kind of like switching from US to metric system!
I agree 100%, we all pull "shots" f this triple double single b.s. Who is out there pulling 7g shots?

Buehrer said:
to me referring to shots as single and double and triple gets a little convoluted. depending on the espresso i pull between 17 and 21.5 grams per basket. i use ridgeless "synesso" style 18 gram baskets. i wish the whole single double triple jargon was not so prevalent in our industry, so customers can really grasp what their intake is!!! kind of like switching from US to metric system!
in reference also to your original post, i always pull one portafilter for 12oz latte, 8oz cappuccino, 6oz cappuccino, macchiato, and espresso.
when i am forced to make 16 oz, i use two portafilters.
Jesse -D-> said:
I agree 100%, we all pull "shots" f this triple double single b.s. Who is out there pulling 7g shots?
Buehrer said:

Gonna have to disagree here. As limiting as some of us may find the definitions, they are very useful starting points. Its like anything - gotta know the rules before you break them. Lack of knowledge of these guidelines is what gives us people pulling huge 3-4oz double. Not everyone is on the leading edge here... I can think of quite a few places that would be much better off following the SCAA guideline.

Not saying you can't just put "espresso" on your menu and deliver whatever it is that your bar has decided this means. But having a generalized notion of what a double espresso IS is a good idea, and whatever you deliver probably should at least resemble the prototype.

You know, I still don't really understand how we that so vigorously object to the misuse of the name "cappuccino" are ok playing so fast and loose with the name "espresso"...

For the record, our doubles are 14g pulled to just under 2oz.
It seems that those who want volume en masse are not as concerned with concentration of flavor, in my opinion. Therefore, in our shop we pull doubles for everything. If you want the concentration you start at straight spro, then cap, then latte. That way you keep costs down on your drink and you can up charge for extras. It seems that what might be perpetuating some of the misunderstanding of drinks and their build is our inconsistency in communicating what makes a drink a drink. It would seem that a cappuccino has much more to do with how much espresso is in it than the magic three rule and that, "wet" or "dry", a macchiato is largely defined by its concentration of coffee per milk. That's just what I think, though.
Well, I see your point. But I also feel like the "double", "triple" lingo contributes to misunderstanding. While you make a good point about 3-4oz shots, I feel like customers expect increased volume when they order a "double". They are thinking "oh, a double, that means I get 2 shots."

we pull around 21g to 1.5-2oz. So your double looks just like our triple (we might be able to see the differences but most customers wouldn't) and this is where it becomes confusing.

cite="http://www.baristaexchange.com/forum/topics/automatically-add-more-shots?page=1&commentId=1688216%3AComment%3A447899&x=1#1688216Comment447899">
Jesse -D-> said:
Buehrer said:

Gonna have to disagree here. As limiting as some of us may find the definitions, they are very useful starting points. Its like anything - gotta know the rules before you break them. Lack of knowledge of these guidelines is what gives us people pulling huge 3-4oz double. Not everyone is on the leading edge here... I can think of quite a few places that would be much better off following the SCAA guideline.

Not saying you can't just put "espresso" on your menu and deliver whatever it is that your bar has decided this means. But having a generalized notion of what a double espresso IS is a good idea, and whatever you deliver probably should at least resemble the prototype.

You know, I still don't really understand how we that so vigorously object to the misuse of the name "cappuccino" are ok playing so fast and loose with the name "espresso"...

For the record, our doubles are 14g pulled to just under 2oz.
We use double ristrettos for 12 oz. triple ristretto for 16 oz. and two doubles for 20 oz. The 20oz. cup is always teetering on the ban, but too many people are dedicated. but an 8 oz. with a dbl. ? that would be ideal. :) my boys are sneaky and like to use triples for the 12 oz. , which is better in reality.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service