Hey folks, I've been trying to find the difference between Astoria and Mazzer and/or Malkhonig grinders.  It seems as though Astoria has the exact same item, model number included, but at half the price.  Can anyone tell me the difference between these brands (as in, has Astoria made a cheap knock off of the real deal?) or know why they would be so much cheaper?

http://www.o.biz/Obiz/Astoria-Grind-on-Demand-K30ES-Coffee-Grinder/...

http://www.mahlkoenig.com/us_products/K30-ES-Single-Espresso-Grinde...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  If I can save a few thousand dollars for my new shop I'd like to do that.  Thanks.

Views: 2795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Astoria branded grinders are Mazzer made, just like the Rio branded ones...  Same thing for the Mahlkoenig K30's.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong:)  The prices you are looking at are list prices, like a msrp price.  Typically A wholesaler will discount off of the list price. 

Best,

AP

+1

CMA does not manufacture grinders.  The Astoria grinder that looks like a Super Jolly IS a Super Jolly.

Incidentally, they also re-brand Compak grinders as Wega.

andy, here's my two cents...am coming up on 9 years using my astoria grinder.  has been a workhorse, to say the least.  one minor breakdown...a spring in the dispensing lever mechanism sprung...part cost was about 89 cents.  now my question is:  can i expect any wearing by now on the burrs, or other areas of this grinder?  i don't know...seems to grind as good now as it did back in 2002!

best of luck with your new shop!...what area?

sage

the coffee hound

Thanks sage!  That's great to hear.  We're opening our second location in Winkler, MB, Canada in the coming months and wanna take some steps forward in our machine quality, electronic dosing grinders included. It's a small community of about 10,000 but there's nothing within at least 100 miles of us that does single cup brewing or even pays great attention to quality and freshness like we do. Thanks again for your input.

sage said:

andy, here's my two cents...am coming up on 9 years using my astoria grinder.  has been a workhorse, to say the least.  one minor breakdown...a spring in the dispensing lever mechanism sprung...part cost was about 89 cents.  now my question is:  can i expect any wearing by now on the burrs, or other areas of this grinder?  i don't know...seems to grind as good now as it did back in 2002!

sage

the coffee hound

Not sure if your is Astoria is the supper jolly grinder, but I heard today from the Mazzer rep the Jollys burrs should be replaced every 400 kilos(or 880 pounds). Not sure how much coffee you have put threw it in 9 years but probably time for a new burr set.

sage said:

sage

the coffee hound

+1 on the burr replacement. It may seem as good as when it was new, but after installing/breaking in new burrs I'm sure you will notice a difference. After all, new burrs for the most common commercial grinders is probably $75 MAX.

Dustin DeMers said:
Not sure if your is Astoria is the supper jolly grinder, but I heard today from the Mazzer rep the Jollys burrs should be replaced every 400 kilos(or 880 pounds). Not sure how much coffee you have put threw it in 9 years but probably time for a new burr set.

sage said:

sage

the coffee hound

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service