Instead of calling a customer by their drink order to receive it, it's more personable to ask for their name. And who doesn't like to hear their name?

In your experience, do customers offer their real name or say a "coffee name" (to make it easier to pronounce or be cute)? Or does this mainly occur at large franchises?

Views: 2382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lindsaytron said:
if a customer comes into your shop 3 times and the barista is still asking their name per order, the customer is going to feel offended because they are going to think the barista is an asshole who can't remember them.
in fact, it's probably because the barista sees too many people a day to remember everyone.
i'm a firm believer in learning customers' names as they become regulars. they feel like they've earned their position in your memory, ergo: they feel good.

Absolutely. Three times isn't always enough for me to memorize a name, especially if it's hard to pronounce.
And you know regulars really like you when they give you a cute nickname.
i'm personally not too keen on learning someone's name when it comes to passing along a drink- nor do i like for someone to call out mine when ordering one.

it's too personal for me. i'm in it for the coffee- not the relationship. i go to a restaurant for the great food and great service, not to develop a relationship with the server, the chefs or the manager.

i'm neither lazy nor pretentious.
if someone asks for my name- it's Lucy. always.

if my staff is "slinging coffee" and calling out a medium capp- it is expected that they make eye contact with the customer, thank them and encourage them to enjoy.
not slap the drink on the counter and cry out next.

i believe that is where the fine line is drawn.

besides, we did try learning names at one time- there was so much confusion that we gave it up- misspronunciations, misspellings, "could you repeat that? i'm sorry, what did you say"?
we have a lot of international folks taking class. it was embarrasing for all of us. remembering someones drink the next time they come in- remembering exactly how they like it and preparing it thus so- to me, is showing respect and that (to me) is key to building a relationship.
Personally, I don't like the idea one little bit.

When someone calls me Frasier I get ticked off. My name is Fraser.

Given the international nature of Mississauga I'm guessing that there are a few 'Ahmeds out there who don't like being called Ah-Med, or Moe Hammed, Mohamed, Mohammed or any other such corruption. How about customer's whose name can only be spelled in Cyrillic? What if you knew that a guy's last name was Pozdev but didn't know that his Sister's name would have to be Pozdeva, because she's a girl?

The vast number of Asian customer's names I can't even pronounce at all.
I'm surprised by how many places don't ask for your name. It must mainly be a select cafe and Southern U.S thing?.
So I started this poll to ask consumers what they think. Here are the results so far.
Fraser Jamieson said:

What if you knew that a guy's last name was Pozdev but didn't know that his Sister's name would have to be Pozdeva, because she's a girl?

I think that's why Americans have such a hard time around the globe. When we travel, we get upset if someone doesn't speak English, like they're stupid or something. We're very quick to voice our needs, far quicker than we are to try to discover what the local customs would be, and even quicker to to voice our disappointment when we do discover that what we want and what they do don't co-incide.
The question of whether or not to use the customer's name aside, when you come to America you should be prepared for Americans to treat you like an American would treat another American. The converse is also true; when an American is in another country, that person should try to adopt the local culture to the best of his ability. Not only does it begin to heal the rift that American Tourists (and American Foreign Policy) have created, but you get to have a far richer experience than you would transporting your culture around with you like a double-wide.
My personal victory was when yet another German woman asked me where I was from (I speak almost fluent German and dress appropriately) and when I responded, "Arizona, in the U.S..." she got wide eyed and said that she thought I was Belgian.
Nice,
I love Belgians. I love there bear too. I haven't tried the coffee yet but look forward to it.
Joe

Chris said:
Fraser Jamieson said:

What if you knew that a guy's last name was Pozdev but didn't know that his Sister's name would have to be Pozdeva, because she's a girl?

I think that's why Americans have such a hard time around the globe. When we travel, we get upset if someone doesn't speak English, like they're stupid or something. We're very quick to voice our needs, far quicker than we are to try to discover what the local customs would be, and even quicker to to voice our disappointment when we do discover that what we want and what they do don't co-incide.
The question of whether or not to use the customer's name aside, when you come to America you should be prepared for Americans to treat you like an American would treat another American. The converse is also true; when an American is in another country, that person should try to adopt the local culture to the best of his ability. Not only does it begin to heal the rift that American Tourists (and American Foreign Policy) have created, but you get to have a far richer experience than you would transporting your culture around with you like a double-wide.
My personal victory was when yet another German woman asked me where I was from (I speak almost fluent German and dress appropriately) and when I responded, "Arizona, in the U.S..." she got wide eyed and said that she thought I was Belgian.
Have I got this right? You're wondering about asking for a name to call when an order is up, right? As opposed to (or in con-junction with) getting to know/getting personally connected with the customer?

I'd think that the poll would be more accurately reflective if it were asked in those terms.
On a scale of one to six, how do you feel about your name being used, instead of your drink name, as a method of notifying you that your order is ready?
1. I would never come back into the place again if they did that.
2. I give them a fake name, 'cause I don't want them to know who I really am.
3. It makes me a bit uncomfortable, I'd prefer another method, but whatever.
4. I give them a fake name, 'cause it's funny to watch them shout 'Lemual' and 'Alabaster' in the shop.
5. It's a bit contrived, but it's an attempt to be friendly.
6. It's so much nicer than being treated like a number. It's like we're friends now!

...but that's just me. It adds a bit of context that may or may not be important.

And Joe, I've never met their bear. It is where I got my taste for Stella Artois, though!; >
Chris said:
Have I got this right? You're wondering about asking for a name to call when an order is up, right? As opposed to (or in con-junction with) getting to know/getting personally connected with the customer?

I'd think that the poll would be more accurately reflective if it were asked in those terms.
On a scale of one to six, how do you feel about your name being used, instead of your drink name, as a method of notifying you that your order is ready?
1. I would never come back into the place again if they did that.
2. I give them a fake name, 'cause I don't want them to know who I really am.
3. It makes me a bit uncomfortable, I'd prefer another method, but whatever.
4. I give them a fake name, 'cause it's funny to watch them shout 'Lemual' and 'Alabaster' in the shop.
5. It's a bit contrived, but it's an attempt to be friendly.
6. It's so much nicer than being treated like a number. It's like we're friends now!

I was referring to calling out orders. Good point about being more specific. I'll reword it.
would only hope regulars don't mind me asking their name.
Jennifer,
I co-own a small shop in Stevenson Washington. It seems I'm somewhat unique compared to all the answers you got so far. To answer your question straight out, no they don't usually offer there name or say a coffee name. The population of this city is 1500 so I do not have the #'s to keep track of that many of the other shops here do. The way I have learned names of these people has been through the use of the Loyilty card system built into Coffee Shop Manager. Do I think first names are important in a small town or large town. Sure I do. The more you can interact and or engage your client the more they will remember you and the great coffee you just served them. If this is a positive experience, they will pass it on and most likely return.
This Loyalty card system is set up using last names. Now you can wait for them to pull it out or quite often say, ohh I left it at home. Your back to asking them for there last name. Every time you do this you will see there first name on the screen too. Eventually I get there first name down. It takes awhile but I know it is appreciated in the long run. Can't forget the "without saying" big smile too.
If it was not for the Loyalty card system in this POS I would not get all these names down in the time frame I did. I will recommend that the company gets some reader designed in that the customer can swipe or wave it across to bring up there name.
Cheers for now,
Joseph
If it's just last names, doesn't that just leave you with, "Smith, your latte is ready!" or even worse. "Mizzzz Langleton, your chai." :)

... And if their name is worth knowing, you'll find it out. Not everyone wants to be known, and not everyone is worth knowing at that level. As long as I know my own name, that's all that matters.

Joseph Robertson said:
Jennifer,
I co-own a small shop in Stevenson Washington. It seems I'm somewhat unique compared to all the answers you got so far. To answer your question straight out, no they don't usually offer there name or say a coffee name. The population of this city is 1500 so I do not have the #'s to keep track of that many of the other shops here do. The way I have learned names of these people has been through the use of the Loyilty card system built into Coffee Shop Manager. Do I think first names are important in a small town or large town. Sure I do. The more you can interact and or engage your client the more they will remember you and the great coffee you just served them. If this is a positive experience, they will pass it on and most likely return.
This Loyalty card system is set up using last names. Now you can wait for them to pull it out or quite often say, ohh I left it at home. Your back to asking them for there last name. Every time you do this you will see there first name on the screen too. Eventually I get there first name down. It takes awhile but I know it is appreciated in the long run. Can't forget the "without saying" big smile too.
If it was not for the Loyalty card system in this POS I would not get all these names down in the time frame I did. I will recommend that the company gets some reader designed in that the customer can swipe or wave it across to bring up there name.
Cheers for now,
Joseph
Agree with John P. When someone comes in a lot, you get to know them, you'll learn their name and their drink; it will just happen, unless you're making an effort not to know them which would be a stupid way of doing business. Of course people are more likely to come back when they feel like you're more than a mechanical arm that delivers lattes, and they're more than a faceless piece of the morning line. That's their reward for coming somewhat often and your reward for making them want to. I don't really care if baristas ask my name when I order, but I will equate you with a starbucks if it's obvious that it's just your "policy" to ID me by name. If you ask everyone their name, you're obviously not going to actually remember me. Why would I appreciate the fact that your boss told you to ask my name?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service