shots below water or above??

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always extract into the cup first, then fill with hot water from the machine tap.

poured over the top of course... saves the creama a little more.

Yeah, first coffee and then I add some water from pitcher so that the crema keeps the pattern.

shots on top?

Dustin DeMers said:

poured over the top of course... saves the creama a little more.

i usually pour very freaking slowly over the 'spressa, creama stays nice, but i see people putting it on top too, not sure whats best.. waiting for more replies

Using volumetric machines can make this very easy to do.

I've set my machines to dose an exact amount of water from the group head, without coffee. So, first I'll fill the cup with water from a blank group head while I dose and tamp, then run the amount of coffee I want from another head. The water from the group head seems to work out to be a better temperature than water from the boiler tap, on many machines, and I can repeat this hundreds and hundreds of times and get the exact same results. (within reason)

That`s cool!... and a good idea.

Fraser Jamieson said:

Using volumetric machines can make this very easy to do.

I've set my machines to dose an exact amount of water from the group head, without coffee. So, first I'll fill the cup with water from a blank group head while I dose and tamp, then run the amount of coffee I want from another head. The water from the group head seems to work out to be a better temperature than water from the boiler tap, on many machines, and I can repeat this hundreds and hundreds of times and get the exact same results. (within reason)

If you want specifics:

On a few of the machines I've set up I have the volumes at: 60ml. 75ml. 90m. and 120ml. or, in American, about 2, 2 1/2, 3 and 4 ounces.

A combination of those buttons while dosing and tamping should get you all the water you need for various sized cups.

Because I do a lot of Americanos I keep one head clean and clear just for that purpose.
i ment on top of the water. either pull the shots on top of the water, or pull into a shot glass and sllowly pour into the water. (all though im not sure how much of a difference it makes, but i never drink americanos so who am i to say)

Shots on top...presentation is better.  Also, I wouldn't recommend using water from the espresso machine...it's not meant to keep up with that type of volume...and if you are using a machine with a double boiler, the hot water from the spout is not the quality of water you want to be serving.

There are some added complexities, though, when you get into machines which don't actually tap the boiler but draw from a heat exchanger, such as the VFA. That spout is most certainly designed for making Americanos; the water from it is fresh not boiled.
From the group head? Ten years doing it on many machines and it works perfectly. All service people give that two thumbs up. The recovery time is zero on a resonable unit; though, you really want the water to be a tad cooler than the coffee, in an ideal world, so as to minimize off-gassing...which again is why the crema is a good thing to have on top.

A few things to add... I agree that presentation is key, but not when everything we do is in to-go cups with dome lids. As we are mobile in operation.

As far as drawing water from the machine for Americanos, it depends on the machine in question. Our 2 group NS Aurelia is more than capable of keeping up with back-to-back drink building such as this.

Terika said:

Shots on top...presentation is better.  Also, I wouldn't recommend using water from the espresso machine...it's not meant to keep up with that type of volume...and if you are using a machine with a double boiler, the hot water from the spout is not the quality of water you want to be serving.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service