Does anyone have any experience or advice as how to go about starting a coffee catering company? I have already started a list of who to talk to in town and a general idea what I want to do, suppliers, etc.

How do I go about getting started? Are there any grants I should look into and such?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Jennifer

Views: 1574

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Always try and look for the things that can go wrong and if you have those covered move forward. If you can live with the consequences of failure then the risk becomes less
Hi Jennifer,

My name is David and I own and manage a small independent coffee shop (Sun Cafe) in Hull, England.
I can advise u from a British perspective.

I presume you will be doing a coffee shop or not a delivery service?

I would definitely suggest doing an intensive barista course before starting your business or buying any equipment. We did several courses at Lavazza and Gaggia before starting on a path to own our coffee shop.

Also in England we are required to take a food hygiene course (by law) if we are to handle or prepare food.

There also a lot of books on Amazon about starting a coffee business which I recommend you buy and read.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Regards,
David
I have taken a couple Espresso classes at a local Roaster. I have worked at various cafe's the past six years and very familiar with the industry and business side. There is a food hygiene course here as well and I plan on taking it.

I want to start out at a coffee catering company then build up to a cafe'. I already have a business plan started for the cafe' itself.

Thanks for the advice!
I understand the risks involved. This is all the more reason to enjoy the challenge of the business. I am very motivated and driven to achieve this. I also know how to market myself once things get going.

Brian Chaitman said:
Always try and look for the things that can go wrong and if you have those covered move forward. If you can live with the consequences of failure then the risk becomes less
Hello Jennifer,

I have built carts and espresso vehicles for a catering, Some of them have been able to generate a lot of business by contacting local food catering companies and sub-contracting barista equipment and services. You could probably go through the yellow pages and make a lot of calls to access the viability and competative landscape before you invest in a startup. The SBA can help write a business plan and also help with financing options.
We have found that developing a 'point of difference' helps us stand out. Especially with food. And it can be really simple things.
Eg, make some things yourself instead of buying them in. Not because of any price edge or presentation, but because you can develop a point of difference.
Make your own 'grandma' style scones, sometimes sweet and sometimes savory. Or your own vanilla cheesecakes with real vanilla bean seeds in it.
jennifer-

i would recommend talking with wes and christine of espresso arts catering in portland, oregon. they run one of the nicest coffee catering services I know of and are very nice people: http://www.espressoarts.com/

--stephen
Thanks. I definitely will.

Stephen Vick said:
jennifer-

i would recommend talking with wes and christine of espresso arts catering in portland, oregon. they run one of the nicest coffee catering services I know of and are very nice people: http://www.espressoarts.com/

--stephen
You have what it takes!!

Jennifer,
my name is Brett. Before you spend any money call in on our morning talk show. It's free and you are welcome to take advantage of the tutorials we have on my page. Several people are working directly from home because of the high out of pocket expense and over head associated with it. If you do your due diligence either way will work for you

Coffee Break Call-In RADIO SHOW Every Morning Mon-Fri 10:30am CST (347) 855-8377

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service