Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you could achieve the same result cold brewing in a french press. it looks cool so that people will buy it, but they make the same claims that toddy makers always have- lower acidity, "you can use the same grounds twice", stores for 6 weeks. i love a good cold toddy, but joe is right in saying that isn't an ideal brewing method. whenever you have a solution sitting for hours beyond the initial inputs, you don't have control like you do in pretty much any other brewing method. to optimize toddy would take so many different test batches- different grinds, different water/coffee ratios, different steep times- that it's almost not worth the effort.

Margo R said:
I'm new the the Industry, and I have a LOT to learn, but this seems to me a lot like a French Press, but with more parts and steps for the end result.

Maybe I'm wrong?
If you wanted a fancy-looking gizmo that brews cold coffee, get a Hario! Otherwise, French Press is still my favourite method of manual brewing, though I'm keen on trying out the Aeropress since I've heard it's like "a poor-man's Clover." But yeah... I can't believe I watched this video.

Almost as ridiculous as this other Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZFi15KTIjc (watch only if you have 3 minutes to waste!)
This is made by the guy who invented and sells the AutoTamp (link) and the Strong espresso machine (link).

They both seem really lame. But they're both actually really sweet.
Taking that into account, I don't know how to call the Hourglass.
I'm still skeptical.
I may just be mistaken about it being the same company/guy.

Jeremy Conley said:
This is made by the guy who invented and sells the AutoTamp (link) and the Strong espresso machine (link).

They both seem really lame. But they're both actually really sweet.
Taking that into account, I don't know how to call the Hourglass.
I'm still skeptical.

The hour glass is dumb. it steeps over night? "it doesn't hurt my tummy because there is less acid." Whoo hoo.

Sip...pause..."Ahh"

How many takes do you think that one took?

i'm a huge fan of brewing cold.  i agree that it's not great at allowing just any coffee to "express itself."  but there are plenty of times that i'll taste a coffee and think, "man, this would be AWESOME in a cold brew."  isn't it totally obvious that acidity is a component of flavor?  when you brew to exclude acids, the flavor is altered. duh.

the thing looks kind of cool, i guess, but if you're gonna go for looks, why not get yourself one of these babies?

http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Northwest-Glass-32-Ounce-Coffee/dp/B004E...

Recently sprang fo three Yama Ice Water Brewers, one for each of our locations :) Needed volume augmented by standard Toddy brewing.

Cold brewing does not destroy a coffee, simply presents a different aspect of what the coffee has to offer. There is no one best way to brew coffees. To think such is culinary stagnation same as thinking there is only one way to properly prepare a filet etc.

Oh, the idea that we are just beginning to focus on growing, processing, greens storing, roasting, roast storing, various brewing method parameters is naive. Many many people have been focusing on these things for many many years.

sorrykari said:

i'm a huge fan of brewing cold.  i agree that it's not great at allowing just any coffee to "express itself."  but there are plenty of times that i'll taste a coffee and think, "man, this would be AWESOME in a cold brew."  isn't it totally obvious that acidity is a component of flavor?  when you brew to exclude acids, the flavor is altered. duh.

the thing looks kind of cool, i guess, but if you're gonna go for looks, why not get yourself one of these babies?

http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Northwest-Glass-32-Ounce-Coffee/dp/B004E...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service