So, i'm out scouting around for a good coffee to pick up these days and it seems the 90+ barrier has been smashed through with reckless abandon. What used to be regarded as the quintessential cup of magical elixir is now the baseline for coffee evalution. I have occasion to see a broad spectrum of coffees from around the world in our lab and 90+ just doesn't come along. Even at international cupping competitions the rampant desire to score above 90 spreads like syphillis at a Roman orgy. Maybe roasters aren't putting their sub-90 coffees up for sale, or at least not calling attention to them. This is not a desire to see quality standards lowered, it's incredulity at the frequency these coffees seem to come to light. I'd say, even 2 years ago, an 88 or 89 coffee was to be coveted. Have coffees really improved that much since then?

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have still yet to see a 99 or 100. Are there such coffees? If there is no 100, then how can any coffee be judged? 97 seems to be the highest rated I have found. Guess that makes 97 the highest rating. I do agree with Brian though. Are coffees being rated today better or are the raters going soft? I have tasted some exceptional coffees, that were rated quite poorly(70-80). Just goes to show that ratings mean nothing. Individual taste is what is important.
I agree, the primary reviewing venue is scoring quite a few more coffees 90+ than they used to, but what is more striking is the number of 94-97 scores as of late. Up until 2004 a 94 was rare and a mere handful of 95's had been given. Then there was, what seemed to me to be a 3 point upswell.

In the international competitions I am not seeing an syphlittic infestation of 90+ scores. There were 32- 90+ CoE coffee last year out of 186 coffees that scored 84+, which means that 83% scored between 84-89. Of the 17% higher than 90, only five scored higher than 91.00 with nothing higher than 94. (That coffee really deserved a 94)

Since the international competitions begin with a large pool of coffees for the national jury and are whittled down to the top 40 for the international jury then further cropped to about 25-30 that make it to auction, it stands to reason that 10% of the samples sent to the international jury would be 90+ coffes.

At present, who is dicatating the scoring that roasters are touting ? I see that there are two entities that are more well known to roasters and consumers: International juries, which by their nature are going to represent a sound statistical basis for the overall score, and an outfit that has one or two cuppers giving a review each month. The latter has a keen interest in generating advertising dollars, and an 89 just isn't sexy.
Ok. While this might have been a half-assed attempt at baiting a response, i do now have some evidence to back up my position. Insert here the latest review from CoffeeReview
http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=1718

Eight O'Clock Coffee 100% Colombian Whole Bean
Montvale, New Jersey Reviewed: October 2008
Overall Rating: 90 points

Aroma: 8
Acidity: 8
Body: 8
Flavor: 8
Aftertaste: 7
Roast (Agtron): Medium (53/64)

Blind Assessment: A classic morning cup. Delicate but lush, crisp yet voluptuous, with cherryish fruit and hints of chocolate and tart orange carrying from aroma through finish. Balanced and well-integrated acidity, medium weight but silky mouthfeel, clean, lingering finish with a slight walnut-like astringency in the long.

90 points for this coffee, lagging just 1 point behind a Rwanda and a 100% bourbon El Sal. If off-the-shelf, non-specialty grocery brands can easily compete with the efforts of dedicated producers, importers and roasters...dark days indeed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service