Anyone have any luck with making your own chocolate for your cafe. We are experimenting with making our own for mochas. Hot, cold and blended. I can find raw cacao powder online, and then sweeten, but wanted to post something up on the bx to see if anyone has any brilliant ideas. maybe it will save me a little r & d time and money.
Thanks,
Zach

Views: 1675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't say I have, or anyone I know has, but the key for a regular shop is it has to be consistent, and cost-effective. Chocolate sauce is one of the more expensive components in your shops, and whatever you do will need to be cost-effective considering how much you use it daily. That is why most people go with a Torani or Ghiradelli sauce that's premade. Consistency of flavor and cost. Plus, less work for you, and you know what that value is. Just my thoughts, but as always, I applaud the efforts! Let us know how it turns out if you do figure out a way to make it happen!
I do reccogize that it will be more expensive. The most important thing is to not have something that is loaded with high fructose corn syrup...Nasty!
Gotcha!
I don't know, Zach... we've found that the homemade cocoa base was FAR less expensive, and far tastier. We've been able to really dial in the flavor we're looking for, and I don't regret going that route for a second. I am generally WAY disappointed with mochas, but finally have one that I think is pretty nice.

2 suggestions:

Try the recipe from the back of a tin of Hershey's cocoa (though taste this made with as many different brands as you can get ahold of). Cocoa powder, sugar, a pinch of salt. This is what we use, albeit with a slightly different process. Still tweaking the process, as the current one is a bit messy (powder in the pitcher, froth to blend). We are thinking of going the route of whisking the base with the espresso (or a little milk) in the cup before adding milk. Good rich chocolate flavor, perhaps just a bit chalky in the finished drink though.

Also, get ahold of some sweet ground chocolate (Guittard?) and try one of the above methods. Nice and creamy, but perhaps a bit less of that really rich chocolate flavor.

Some shops make sauces with either of the above ingredients and hot water. Probably has to be refrigerated? Haven't tried this.

With the variety of cocoas and chocolates that are out there there are infinite flavor possibilities. It'll take a bit of tasting and R&D work, but you can get something that is really unique to your shop.

Good luck.
Oh, check the BGA forum for a great discussion on this. It is in the open forum, last post dated 12/11/2007 (on page 2) Topic name is "What is everyone using for mocha base?".

On reading again, are you talking about starting with cacao nibs? If so, please disregard these posts.

b
Great post at the BGA. I have tried many of teh products listed. Monin, good, but okay. Ghirardelli, torani, whatever. We use DaVinci right now, pretty good profile, really sweet with high fructose. I am going to give Omanhene a call tomorrow for some samples. I am thinking their cocoa powder + our vanilla made in house might be the right call. Anyone have any luck with Omenhene?
Also check with your local bakers or confectioners to see if they can recommend a good local supplier. We were lucky enough to find a local distributer that carries a cocoa powder that fit the bill perfectly.

Your approach sounds great. Good luck.
Just re-ran the costs today, and our homemade mocha base (cocoa and sugar) is WAAAAY less than the cost of any syrup we've priced. For example, a portion of the Ghiradelli syrup is around 8 times the cost of our mix. And ours is tastier, and has no HFCS or weird additives.

One very nice thing about cocoa... it is pretty lightweight compared with some other dry ingredients, so even having some shipped every few months might be feasible.
I have some samples coming from Omanhene. I have heard really good things about them...on here and barista guild.
If you know anyone who has been to baking school (its always possible) you only need to know how they make ganache. I use a local chocolatier to make a fantastic vegan ganache for our mochas (and an unbelievable caramel sauce). Due to a lack of knowledge and skill I use a non-vegan recipe at home for truffles that may be a decent starting point if you wish to hear it. It uses dark chocolate chunks, but could be tweaked using Guittard powder or some other brand of preference.
Omanhene raw cocoa powder is a good base for a chocolate sauce. Start by cutting it with 1/3 sugar and adjust from there. Also try different sweeteners... we use a little muscovado for some depth and less 'sugary' sweetness.
When you add the sugar, do you heat it or pre-dry mix it up? Would you mind sharing the process.
Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service