Hey,
I'm wondering. What would you vote as the most reliable, most biblical, and most enjoyable book on coffee? Which of your coffee books is dog-eared, highlighted, underlined, stained and ragged?
Most (and I) have a beaten-up copy of "The Perfect Cup". But I came to age in the early '90s.
What's the textbook now?

Views: 4647

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree the "Perfect Cup" is a great book, but "The Devils Cup" is also great.
I rather liked Kenneth Davids' "Coffee" and "Espresso" books. A bit dry, but great for someone who wants to learn a lot about coffee quickly. "The Perfect Cup" is also wonderful.
One book I reference a lot is "Coffee: Growing, Processing, Sustainable Production: A Guidebook for Growers, Processors, Traders, and Researchers." The diagrams are excellent and the appendix on green defects is highly informative.
I would say that off the top of my head is Kenneth Davids book "Espresso." "The Perfect Cup" is also a favorite, I worked under a Roastmaster that made me read it, and I'm glad he did....
I always recommend Coffee Basics
by Kevin Knox and Julie Huffaker. I also re-read it every couple of years.

My copy is dog-eared from being lent out so many times.

If it must subscribe to all of the above criteria, then it must be The Devil's Cup: Coffee, the Driving Force in History by Stewart Lee Allen
http://books.google.com/books?id=lboFAAAACAAJ&dq=Stewart+Lee+Al...
Incredibly approachable introduction to the history of coffee, written in an engaging travelogue style.
In no particular order:

The Coffee Trader, by David Liss
Uncommon Grounds, by Mark Pendergrast
Espresso Coffee: Professional Techniques by David C. Schomer
Espresso: Ultimate Coffee, Second Edition by Kenneth Davids
Espresso Coffee, Second Edition: The Science of Quality by Rinantonio Viani and Andrea Illy
Aroma of Coffee, by Luis Norberto Pascoal
Being new to the coffee industry and a home roaster, I found Kenneth Davids', "Home Coffee Roasting" to be quite informative, at least for someone at my level. It could use an "update" as some of the material is, well, you know what I mean.
Not because it is one of our titles, but "Bean Business Basics" is a great resource for anyone looking to open a shop. I also have enjoyed:

"The Great Good Place, Ray Oldenburg"
"Uncommon Grounds, Mark Pendergast"

- Matt
'the Professional Barista Handbook' by Scott Rao
'Coffee: A Dark History' by Antony Wild
'Brewing Justice' by Daniel Jaffee
'Javatrekker' by Dean Cycon

all fantastic... the first two essential reading for any barista behind the bar, the last two for more social justice-y types...

enjoy!

-amber fox
Illy's Espresso Coffee book is a really nice scientific introduction (though I agree, very technical), Devil's Cup is a lovely story & adventure, and there is a new one, called Espresso Quest coming out which is going to be great. I managed to get a pre print copy.
I really liked Uncommon Grounds by Mark Pendergrast.
and it seems to be pretty popular..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service