I am excited to hear about the results of the WBC testing that went on last week in Vancouver. I hope to be able to post more info on other equipment too, but for now I have the results from one of the machines tested. (information posted with permission)

The attached info relates to Average Brew Temperature and Logged Temperature Stability. I hope to have more info as it comes to me ...

Nuova Simonelli Aurelia 3 Group

Views: 6312

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From what I have heard, out of respect to the previous sponsors the decision was taken not to reveal the new sponsor in Copenhagen. Which makes me think we will be seeing a new machine sponsor ... I imagine we will hear the results very soon!
cool, thanks brent.
My question is what mods did they do to the machine? I know that all but one that we sold we had issues with temp stability. I know there was an issue with the gigglers or whatever their called.
It would be interesting to take the machines (any of them) right off the assembly line and test them. No mods, no tweeks...just true head to head!
does anyone have a list of what all machines were included in the test?
There are pics of the testing which show all of the machines at the WBC test in Vancouver earlier this year:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coffeegeek/sets/72157603721369099/show/
Hi Rob,
I spoke to Roberto at Nuova Distribution and he told me that the rules for the testing specify that the machines are standard. You may have had an early version with different size gigleurs?

so is that good or bad?

if you had the choice of a NS Aurelia Competizione or GB5, what would you select?

gotta make a decision this week.  any insight is appreciated.

In my Opinion I would get the compt machine...it's track record for service is far better than the GB5 and is easily accessable for parts and service.
barista Dan said:

so is that good or bad?

if you had the choice of a NS Aurelia Competizione or GB5, what would you select?

is roberto your brother?
no...my cousin

barista Dan said:
is roberto your brother?
I'd go LM over NS in a heartbeat. Much easier to tweak temp for different blends/SOs with a PID. However can't speak to the maintenance record of the GB5 but my three Lineas are rock solid work horses.

barista Dan said:

so is that good or bad?

I'd actually go the other way, Mike.  

The NS Comp is PID controlled, and it's a more stable machine than a GB5, IMO.  You can't beat a NS Aurelia group head.  

Most GB5 owners I know have all had different, "unique" problems with their machines (things that aren't as common as Lineas).  

When I've worked on GB5's I've always felt awkward and slow, it's just not a machine that I feel like I can work quickly on (the pump buttons seem awkward, although aesthetically I dig them).  Take into account the fact that I've spent more time on LM machines than any other manufacturers, yet this machine still "felt" weird.

The steam levers on a NS are a speed dream (over the knobs on the LM) and I like the steam wands themselves on the NS over the GB5.  

The hot water spout on a NS is a lot more practical than the stubby little thing on the LM machines.

I like LM portafilters better though.

The NS has barista lights, which is a silly thing to get excited about, but hey... sometimes bells and whistles can be exciting.

I'd grab a Strada any day over a Aurelia Comp, but an Aurelia Comp any day over a GB5.

-bry

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service