As I've come to learn, it's a common practice to age (let rest for a certain period of time) an espresso to allow the crema and, to some extent, flavor develop to their full potential. Obviously, freshness is always a priority when it comes to coffee. We typically try to let our espesso age about one week, but I'm still not completely happy with how its pulling. Just wanted to ask for any opinions regarding aging over one week... Is two weeks unheard of? If you age your espesso, what time frame are you generally looking at? Thanks y'all.

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find that days five to ten are best for most espresso that I roast, but those that have dark and sweet flavors, such as deep berry, plum, cocoa, roasted nut... versus bright sweet like orange, sweet almond, florals, and the brighter caramels... take about seven to nine days before they REALLY hit their stride.
As a general rule I wait four days before using any of the espresso, but I've also found out that as soon as I find a "rule" I discover a blend where it doesn't apply.

I've been testing several lots of Harrar as well as the Ethiopian Koratie DP in some blends, and the fruit notes really don't start to penetrate the cup until after about five days. You can smell it immediately in the grind after the first day, but it just doesn't translate to the cup completely. And if you go too heavy on the Harrar, it tends to dominate the front of the cup so much it's hard for the rest of the espresso to catch up.

The joy of daily tasting! This is where I learn how much I haven't learned.
I dont like saying ditto...but what the heck "Ditto"! I never use an espresso blend we have roasted before 10 days, and never use it after 10 days. The 4-10 day window brings out the best in the blend- here I will not say ditto- my roast is vanilla, ripe cherry, unsweetened chocolate, raspberry and blackcurrant. It is indeed amazing the transformation in the cup 0- 3 days, vs 4-10 days, vs 10 days plus
definately we recomend to never use any coffee for espresso sooner than 4-5 days after roast for the fullest flavors and aromas. We have found that for bright and sweet coffees they can be used sooner but not longer afterwards. and heavier, chunkier coffees tend to need a few extra days after roast and can go longer.

wait 5 days after roast, then the peak for most coffees of ours seems to be 5-12 days after roast. We have had some amazing espressos from three week old coffee but that is usually a very rare occurance.

and crema is overrated. the liquor is the best part of the shot. I find myself wanting to push the crema to the side and just sip the super sweet liquor. especially the last few drops which are staggeringly sweet.

but as for age, experiment. take some and age it for two and three weks before opening the bag and see what you like better. taste first!
Yes, I would agree....we've been playing around with an espresso blend with a natural washed moka harar and sidamo, it's too acidic within that first week, but after 6-7 days, you can really taste the distinct fruit flavors...cherries and blueberries.
I love this website because of this kind of stuff, I had never heard of doing this but can't wait to try it
does anyone open the epresso bags and let the espresso "degass"? I spoke with one sho suggested this practice, just curious.
Degassing is good. Oxygen is bad. "Age" your espresso in bags with one-way valves or containers with a few very small holes punched in the lid.
Brady, I went to a presentation at Coffeefest that basically showed little difference between the rate of oxidation in a fully open bag and one with just a small needle hole. Of course the vendor was selling valve bags, but the data looked legit.
Hmmm, interesting. That surprises me. I'm not disagreeing and am glad you brought it up. We'd discussed this on here before, and someone suggested that a small hole in the lid would be ok. Thinking being that since CO2 is heavier than air and since there is a small outward gas flow, no oxygen would get in. Irrelevant for me, since our stuff all comes from the roastery in plastic bags with one-way valves, and rests there until time of use (with the rest being transferred to a 2 gallon sealed cambro and used within 2-3 days. Good to know.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service