The Today Show had an expert today that said that the oils in coffee inhibit the metabolism of cholesterol. She said to use brewing methods with a filter to block these oils. Has anyone else heard this? Anyone know what study this could be from? Is this a general consensus of the scientific/health-care community or something obscure to add filler in a morning program? What am I supposed to tell my customers? I have had one asking me about this already.

If you want to see the clip, go to their site and in the health page there is a link on the right that says "Small changes, big results."

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a direct link: It's at about the 1 minute, 20 second point.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27400288#27400288
There's been lots of discussion about this over the past few years. From what I've seen, it looks legit. Maybe not general consensus, but I don't believe it is something random and wacko to fill a morning show. That's the reason I've used paper filters at home for the past several years and make french press just an occasional treat.

Check out discussions on CoffeeGeek, etc on the topic for some more info. Too lazy to paste links myself...

At our shop, I try to be frank with my customers. I bring it up with French Press customers, asking them if they are aware of the studies and potential links. If they are not, I suggest that they do some research into the topic. This is a personal health decision, I just want to let them know of the potential link. If you are not a person that is concerned about your cholesterol OR drinking pressed or metal filtered coffee doesn't appear to affect you it is not an issue.
One thing I do wonder though... how bad is the impact of a 12oz cup of french pressed coffee (black) when compared to a 20oz breve (shudder), whole milk white mocha with whipped cream, etc. Difference being perhaps that the breve drinker probably knows they are drinking a pint of half and half?
I do remember meeting a customer who used to drink 5-6 cups of french press coffees a day and when her and her husband stopped they noticed a huge change in their cholesterol. (Funny, that we always find issues when living outside of consuming in moderation) I don't think it means the oils are bad but like all things too much can't be good for you, right?
really good point Brady

Brady said:
One thing I do wonder though... how bad is the impact of a 12oz cup of french pressed coffee (black) when compared to a 20oz breve (shudder), whole milk white mocha with whipped cream, etc. Difference being perhaps that the breve drinker probably knows they are drinking a pint of half and half?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service