So the more I cup coffee the more I am convinced that we should not be serving any coffee to customers that is over 160 degrees F. When we cup we don't even really taste anything untill it reaches below 160 degrees F. And it is best between 80 to 130F.

SO I keep thinking that we have to figure out a way to have customers only drink coffee that is less than 160F degrees. Sounds crazy but the coffee tastes so much better cooler. When it is too hot people want to add cream and adulterants to cool it down and to make it have more flavor. But as it cools people don't do that.

So I have not come up with a reason yet as to why I should not go ahead and only serve coffee that is below 160 degrees.

Brew it at our normal 204F but then cool it somehow and then store it in the Luxus at around 160 or so.

hmmm.,..

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can change the temp on coffee brewers at elast on a Fetco. we brew at 205 right now.

and we do not want to change that. I just want people to only drink cooler coffee that has sat for a few minutes down below 130F.

the flavors are so much more amazing.

Matthew Gasaway said:
Andy Newbom said:
I am not talking about milk nor espresso. I am talking about drip coffee. NOT french press which gets funky if its cold but filter drip.

100 degrees of heaven.

Sorry if i sounded confusing. I know you can change the temp on espresso machines but I was wondering if that was even possible with drip coffee machines. Probably not though after reading your comment.

I apologize for the confusion.
Matthew Gasaway said:
Andy Newbom said:
I am not talking about milk nor espresso. I am talking about drip coffee. NOT french press which gets funky if its cold but filter drip.

100 degrees of heaven.

Sorry if i sounded confusing. I know you can change the temp on espresso machines but I was wondering if that was even possible with drip coffee machines. Probably not though after reading your comment.

I apologize for the confusion.
I think I see the confusion.

The final brewed product relies HEAVILY on the temperature at which the coffee is extracted.

This is not about extraction temperatures, but about serving temperatures.

You do NOT want to drop the extracting energy just to serve coffee at a cooler temperature. The result would not be so pretty.
i dunno Andy......not only are you taking the temp down, but you're taking the "experience" of nursing a great cup of hot coffee away as well.....


then there is the holding time issue.....to cool it down, are you intending to let it set for a while as it cools?

i dunno, i'm not too keen on getting warm coffee.

think about soup.
it's got to cool down before you eat it, right?
tastes best at a cooler temp, correct?

but do you want it served that way?
Ok, so if I get a cup of warm coffee... as opposed to a hot... I'm usually disgusted because it's old... and I think psychologically it will be a hard feeling to break me of, if that's what I'm served first.

That being said, I only drink coffee 2-4oz at a time in a wide mouthed ceramic cappuccino cup (depending on the cup, it is approximately 1/2 full with brew). I don't know when I started doing this, but I think it just started because it tastes better to me. It allows for the coffee to cool in a soft progression that is reasonably quick, and also, I'm able to finish the coffee before the whole cup is COLD. It works for me, if I need more, I can re-fill the cup to the same volume when i'm done.

I don't know how this would work for a customer though... The pitcher transfer idea seems like the best option so far. Every cup would be first poured, from a hot urn into a milk pitcher, and then transferred to a cup... perhaps a self-serve coffee bar, with smaller cups for here? I dunno...
I think the idea of air-potting warm coffee is cruel and unusual. Wasn't there a post on coffeed about a greater falling distance and the turbulence created by it bringing the final in-cup temperature down significantly?

Put your fetco on stilts. Imagine the drama! Let the coffee pour six feet from the filter basket into a room temp earthenware jug.

Is it April?
JIm Saborio said:
I think the idea of air-potting warm coffee is cruel and unusual. Wasn't there a post on coffeed about a greater falling distance and the turbulence created by it bringing the final in-cup temperature down significantly?

Put your fetco on stilts. Imagine the drama! Let the coffee pour six feet from the filter basket into a room temp earthenware jug.

Is it April?

LOL! Is aeration necessarily always a good thing?
Monica Rae Hill said:
That being said, I only drink coffee 2-4oz at a time in a wide mouthed ceramic cappuccino cup (depending on the cup, it is approximately 1/2 full with brew). I don't know when I started doing this, but I think it just started because it tastes better to me. It allows for the coffee to cool in a soft progression that is reasonably quick, and also, I'm able to finish the coffee before the whole cup is COLD. It works for me, if I need more, I can re-fill the cup to the same volume when i'm done.

Yeah I do this too... even at home - never more than 4 oz at a time. I don't know why. Maybe its so that I can keep topping up to maintain ideal temp?

I just took the temp of the cup I'm drinking right now (try explaining THAT to your wife). Its at about the perfect temp for me right at 130. That said, I don't know that I'd want it served right at that temp... like an earlier poster said, what's the rush?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2021   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service