Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Business is fine. A little up from the week before, and this past week has been super-hot (95*F+).
Hey Nick! I love you man! LOL! Way to go. Tell'em to go screw themselves! Tuscano is pure nectar! I am your at your defense: My comment

Nick Cho said:
Business is fine. A little up from the week before, and this past week has been super-hot (95*F+).
After following the trail of this whole ordeal, and I mean ordeal I only have one thing to say.... the Washington Post? Come on, you could not pay for that kind of publicity! I guess even grouchy customers can come with a silver lining! What started as a difficult customer afforded you the opportunity to educate an entire new potential customer base in the integrity of your product and your level of dedication. An interesting angle on it, I know...
Although I hope that every customer served in my coffee house is satisfied of course, I like to be a shot glass half-full kind of gal and use it as an opportunity to reach new customers, those who appreciate the integrity of a good espresso shot!
Your right about the espresso over ice! Its a fairly common coffee myth that pouring the shots over ice changes the chemical composition or makes a change in the acidity. They usually say it shocks the espresso. There is no such thing! The chemical composition stays the same. The acidity stays the same and the flavor stays the same.
When I pull the shots directly over my gelato I always want to say "LOOK SHOCKED! Come on please look shocked" but it never does! Affagato (gelato drowned in espresso) has been around for ever.

Justin Mills said:
I am so tired of people assuming that the customer in question, or any customer for that matter is an idiot. Did he behave like a lunatic? Yes. Was he treated with respect and given a chance to avoid this series of events? Not so much. I personally enjoy throwing a few shots on ice and sipping them until they are gone. Does it make me a stupid customer? I say no. I find iced americanos to be too light and watery for my taste, and some cold press to be to heavy, so I ice espresso, or iced americano, no water, that is whatever I have to say to get the barista to deliver 4 shots in a cup full of ice. I trust my taste buds and my mood to dictate what I order, just as I will make a Raspberry white mocha with extra white chocolate and sell it fo nearly six dollars if someone orders it, I need to put money in the register! I certainly tease my regulars who need "Extra Cream" or "Four splendas" and myself for "bastardizing espresso" when I ice it. The culture at my shop lends itself to this sort of banter, and to me splenda is about the worst thing you can do to coffee or espresso. But the first time I see anybody my goal is to create a new regular customer, and educate them on what it is we do here. SIMULTANEOUSLY!! It is not an either, or. I would rather have them feel good about the experience, and confident the next time they come in, versus threatening arson and spreading ill will. I beleive specialty coffee should focus more on inclusion and less on how cool we think we are for being specialty.
All of this publicity can only increase awareness of the company in question and its' owner.

It's the rest of the community that suffers because of the way this situation was handled.
Jay Caragay said:
All of this publicity can only increase awareness of the company in question and its' owner.
It's the rest of the community that suffers because of the way this situation was handled.

Precisely.
Well put.
even though it doesnt need to be said again, I agree with Jay.
I do want to say somethin else, though: When you're reading someone's blog/article/whatever, and in this instance, the customers, does it put you off that every other word that guy typed was "fuck"? I mean, I know I use that language all the time, but I do it to make up for my lack of vocab, and my relative retardedness. That being said, if I'm trying to make a point, I refrain from that, because, frankly, it makes the dude sound like a 13 year old that discovered "Bro, using 'fuck' totally makes me more of a man!"
I can't vouch for Nick, because I haven't seen his response personally, but this really puts me off.
Anybody else?
lets all learn something from this fiasco. i tried a blind taste test adding shots directly over ice in one cup and shots over ice and water in the other. i was AMAZED at the difference. try it!
liz said:
Your right about the espresso over ice! Its a fairly common coffee myth that pouring the shots over ice changes the chemical composition or makes a change in the acidity. They usually say it shocks the espresso. There is no such thing! The chemical composition stays the same. The acidity stays the same and the flavor stays the same.
When I pull the shots directly over my gelato I always want to say "LOOK SHOCKED! Come on please look shocked" but it never does! Affagato (gelato drowned in espresso) has been around for ever.
my reply
i couldn't disagree more. i don't know the physics behind it, but there is definitely a substantial taste difference. try it
Perhaps it is not the espresso that changes, rather your taste buds...

Its pretty well documented that the perceived sweetness of something drops as it gets really cold. If you turn down the sweetness in your perfectly balanced espresso shot, what are you left with?
Brady said:
Perhaps it is not the espresso that changes, rather your taste buds...

Its pretty well documented that the perceived sweetness of something drops as it gets really cold. If you turn down the sweetness in your perfectly balanced espresso shot, what are you left with?

That very much depends on the blend/coffee/roast, and I stated elsewhere that I suspect the "Shock" is an inherent astringency increasing in proportion to other flavors. If there are no roasting or processing errors(yeah right!), there will be no "shock".

Pure speculation, but that's in-line with what you've just said.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service