I heard out there somewhere in coffee land a shop was using paper cups for all iced drinks. That resonated with me. I have limited space and I am always running to get 3 sizes of solo pastic cups. We always have paper of course, it is easy to manage. What would be the up and down side of using hot cups for all "iced" beverages?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know when an article has listed a shop only using paper cups the shop also uses cups made from corn that are biodegradable for the iced beverages. they look like plastic, but are much more environmentally friendly. I believe one company that makes these is greenware.
We use greenware cups for our cold beverages as an alternative to traditional plastic. Lately though, it seems that the price increase and the quality decrease may have my re-thinking that. The lids (also greenware) seem to be ill-fitting and the cups are appearing more flimsy as it is hard to get the lids on the cup without the cup buckling and the contents spilling. Again, just my experience. Also if you leave a cup in a hot car, the lid can actually melt to the top of the cup. Random, I know. I know this does not address your "cold drink in a paper cup" question, but wanted to let you know about my greenware experience if you were looking to go that route.
You've hit on one of the upsides - stocking simplicity and counter space.

The big downside I see (and the reason we haven't gone this way) is the drink visibility. I can't tell you how many times a customer in line sees someone get a beautiful frozen drink in a clear cup and then order the same thing. Or even better, when someone who hadn't planned on getting anything changes their mind.

By the way, Ray, I think this discussion probably belongs in the "Retail Coffee Business" area?
Thank you. You are right on regarding the appearance of a cold bev in a cold cup.

Retail coffee biz section?

Did not know there was one. I will find it. thx
I've always done iced because it typical looks more "pretty"... and its usually what my bosses want me to do.
Although, I just brought in some nice glass tumblers for in house iced spro's, and they're f'in SICK lookin.
Benza Lance said:
Although, I just brought in some nice glass tumblers for in house iced spro's, and they're f'in SICK lookin.

Finally got em, eh... good for you!
I only have 4 of em! and we had to bring em in ourselves! But a step in the right direction.
Not sure what you are talkin' bout.
I'm talkin straight up glass tumblers.
for "in house" iced drinks.
I dont do to go.
I have heard many people say that paper cups keep the iced drinks cold longer.....
f' that, its iced, chug it like it was your MD 20/20 getting warm!

Really though, iced drinks in paper cups??? Do this, put some water in one and let it sit on the counter for a bit, let the results tell the truth. Personally i have always gotten an extremely "papery" taste when using them with iced beverages.
By the way benza, you know those tumblers are just gonna get you a "temple time-out".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service