Has anyone utilized this machine yet? I'm in the market for a new machine and was hoping for some positive feedback....

Views: 2170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have not utilized this machine yet but you can save your self tons of money by getting a semiautomatic machine with much greater results. The time you save with an auto will compromise the integrity of the drinks the Astoria AEP 2-group semiautomatic is known for its affordability and for being very reliable, I work on an Astoria from the eightys and it is still going strong
Hi, Stephen I used for more than 3 years its one of the best but after using m39 we move to La marzocco (http://www.lamarzocco.it/prodotti.html) Its much better & it has two boilers & its the only machine with 2 boilers 1 for the hot water & the athor for the steaming wand tank its mean its always maintain to be powerfull.

Good luck
Hey Stephen...my $.02 on this one is the the first two posts by Liz and Hameed are dead on. For the money you really can't beat the Astoria Gloria. However, I am a big fan of LaMarzocco as well, just not the price. If it was my shop, those would be the only two names you would see.
Stephen,

Some good comments so far, and I commend you for asking to hear from those who have used the machine. We have 10 different machines at the school and the M39 is one of them. I am happy to give some feedback on what I have experienced and pros and cons I have found.

First, I like this machine a lot because it is smart. FYI this machine also has two boilers ... and uses what's called Thermo-Siphon/Thermo Compensation. It uses the group metals to heat the water to not affect the coffee with calcium build up from the water.

Maintenance on the machine is also very minimal, and it is built to last by focusing on simplicity and quality. The group bells are removable, not one piece which is great for technicians and allows the group to essentially last the life of the machine.

It also has an extremely comprehensive admin/computer interface with many features so that you can basically do troubleshooting and adjustments over the phone with Cimbali, vs. having a tech come out. Everything you need to adjust is available by removing the front panels, very easy access.

Finally, it is extremely energy efficient, with an optimized and small boiler which heats up very fast, while still providing adequate steam pressure. The owner of La Cimbali is very environmentally conscious and the machine is actually 100% biodegradable (not that it will dissolve on your counter).

I am not a fan of the auto steam wand that is on our machine, but I imagine it can be removed easy enough. Also, it has some of the smallest portafilter baskets in the industry, where the ideal dose is around 14-16 grams. It is also on the high end when it comes to price, but you get what you pay for.

There are many machines out there that are great and I compare buying a new machine to buying a car. First look at who can service your machine in your area, and make sure to get a good warranty package built in to the purchase price. Other features like ergonomics, design, style, semi vs. auto, etc. will effect your decision, and ultimately you will want to shop around in regards to price. Don't ever pay full list price for a machine.

Astoria makes a great machine, along with La Spaziale and Brasilia in regards to bang for your buck. The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia is also a great machine and well priced in the market. Then you have La Marzocco and Synesso to consider as well, both great. Good luck, and keep researching.

- Matt
"There are many machines out there that are great and I compare buying a new machine to buying a car. First look at who can service your machine in your area, and make sure to get a good warranty package built in to the purchase price. Other features like ergonomics, design, style, semi vs. auto, etc. will effect your decision, and ultimately you will want to shop around in regards to price. Don't ever pay full list price for a machine."

Very well said Matt!

If there are 50 different machines out there, you will have 50 different OPINIONS! Research until you fell well educated on what you are buying. (Just like anything else)
Matt,

THanks so much for the feeback, very nuetral but also very informative regarding the M39. After attending the SCAA this year I was turned onto many of the high end machines and its quite difficult to make a solid choice however it seems that the m39 is much like its younger brothers and sisters....a work horse and well respected. I've gotten a quote and its under 10k so i'm thinking its not a bad deal. Again thanks!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service