We have been a wholesale roaster for a little over two years now and are looking at opening a cafe in the near future. It is a family run business & we want to do it right from the start.

I would like this discussion to get peoples thoughts on their experience in Barista training. If I did it over ,would of paid more attention to.... or asked more about..... the great thing about my training was...

Thanks for your help!

Views: 248

Replies to This Discussion

Wonder how many barista's out there have formal training? Would like to hear a little of your experiences.

Thanks
well, I was trained by a trainer who does roasting and also latte art for a week before starting my shift and later when twice to SCAA for cupping training and also certified as a barista.
Lots of training and constantly upgrading.

Marilyn
www.tancoffee.com

Derryl Reid said:
Wonder how many barista's out there have formal training? Would like to hear a little of your experiences.

Thanks
I was trained by Mike Marquard, of Kaldi's Coffee Roasters (who recently won the MWRBC, congrats!). He focused primarily on the consistency of the shot. We weighed dosings until I could consistently dose to within .05 grams of the goal. We then studied the pour- when to know it's a good shot, when to stop, etc. Then came the inner workings of the machine, maintenance, etc. Cuppings are a monthly even, required every other month from the baristas. Now I'm running my own shop! Any further questions, holla.
Thanks Brian!!

Brian Thayer said:
I was trained by Mike Marquard, of Kaldi's Coffee Roasters (who recently won the MWRBC, congrats!). He focused primarily on the consistency of the shot. We weighed dosings until I could consistently dose to within .05 grams of the goal. We then studied the pour- when to know it's a good shot, when to stop, etc. Then came the inner workings of the machine, maintenance, etc. Cuppings are a monthly even, required every other month from the baristas. Now I'm running my own shop! Any further questions, holla.
This blog hasn't moved for a while. I've been in the coffee industry for 12 years. I taught myself with the help of belissimo. Since then I've done a tour with Sbux, Peets, It's a Grind and a couple of independents. I guess I've had alot of people tell me how to do coffee, but I'd say that I'm the only one that makes me passionate about serving the perfect cup of coffee. I've trained countless people and the passion is what I've tried to impart. A love for coffee and the product one produces. I've stressed the importance of how the drink is built and how the shot is pulled. So in all I've taught more about coffee than I've ever learned simply because I love the experience. If there is a Barista training, it's not about the technical skill, it's about the passion.
It really is about technical experience, but you can only appreciate and learn that if you have passion. I know a whole lotta people passionate about coffee but have no idea how to pull a shot of espresso... just some food for thought... I have NEVER had a good espresso from Sbux, Peet's or It's a Grind, so... I hope that you can hone in your skills and prove me wrong.



Vince said:
This blog hasn't moved for a while. I've been in the coffee industry for 12 years. I taught myself with the help of belissimo. Since then I've done a tour with Sbux, Peets, It's a Grind and a couple of independents. I guess I've had alot of people tell me how to do coffee, but I'd say that I'm the only one that makes me passionate about serving the perfect cup of coffee. I've trained countless people and the passion is what I've tried to impart. A love for coffee and the product one produces. I've stressed the importance of how the drink is built and how the shot is pulled. So in all I've taught more about coffee than I've ever learned simply because I love the experience. If there is a Barista training, it's not about the technical skill, it's about the passion.

why don't you considered hiring a well knowledge Barista trainor to do your training, standardizing the menu.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2019   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service