Hi everyone!

As a producer, I have always been curious about expectations of harvest elsewhere. we all know that the availability of superior beans leads to higher prices to producers and headaches for the Baristas!

Yet, in an informal way, we can hope to share information about how our crops will develop that can be helpful for everyone.

So I suggest that whoever wants to share about how production in his/her area comes do so. No actual figures are needed just a general idea.

So here I go! In Antigua the crop looks bad. We did not had good rains in April - May flowering season and then it has been a dry year in the area. I believe that the farms most affected are those at the north of the valley where harvesting will be 60 - 70% of normal. At the south end situation may be better with 80% of normal production to be expected.

Just a few farms are not affected and those are the ones with irrigation in the plantations.

How´s that for a start?

Views: 64

Replies to This Discussion

HAWAII 2009/2010 season: Kona coffee harvest is mostly finished for the season. We suffer from a prolonged drought caused by a a severe El Niño weather pattern. Even forest and brush fires occur, which were never heard of in this normally wet area.

Harvest was severely impacted (especially below 1,000 ft / 300m): Smaller beans, very high percentage of floaters, overall lower yield, foliage loss. Farms with irrigation systems and above the 1,800 ft (550m) elevation seem to be doing better.

Problem is not only the drought, but the missing afternoon shade cover. The trees simply get fried. Coffee plants under shade trees did well in this particular season, but get too little cherry in a regular Kona weather pattern of shade clouds in the afternoon.

The taste/flavor quality should be positively affected: Cupping judges seem to continuously award Kona coffees from farms with slightly stressed out, low yielding trees in blind cupping contests. This is a 'stressed out' harvest overall.
Well! Thanks Joachim for your insight and detailed info. Here in Guatemala we are seeing some similar aspects. Smaller beans, weak cups and lots of "Broca" (CBB ) Damage... At the same time, the plantations are getting older without replacement and no hint of fertilizer to them. The differentials for green coffee up to exchange plus 53 cents per pound of supremo or exchange plus 30 cents per pound of Strictly Hard Bean are bound to increase... Hope is not too late to allow us to maintain production!

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service