The perfect milk for the traditional cappuccino: How is it done?

What kind of pitchers do you use? Brand of milk? Do you restrict the flow of the steam? How deep do you bury the steam wand? How vigorously do you stretch the milk? How much waste? How high/fast do you pour? Art or no?

Views: 396

Replies to This Discussion

I personally use a 20 ounce pitcher. Now I am not one for very very precise science when I am participating in an art form such as frothing, so I teach my baristas to use the rule of thumb.In other words put your thumb down on the table where you have poured the milk into the pitcher and essentially double the volume of your milk. If you have measured one whole thumb length, then you will stretch it to two, etc. Now the volume is usally about 3.5 ounces of liquid milk before frothing, which does create just a little waste unfortunatly.
The reason I use the larger pitcher is I have seen baristas use the really small guys and spray milk everywhere out of control.

The correct ratio is 2 shots of espresso to 4 ounces of velvety microfoam.

I typically use organic whole milk unless specified otherwise. For some reason the organic just seems to steam better to me, but the whole aspect is key to get a rich creamy drink.

I crank my wand up 3/4 to all the way (I use an old school linea) and bury the wand. Using both hands I gradually draw down, injecting air into the milk at regular intervals and being careful not to create large nasty sea-foamy milk. The milk is moving in a continuous circular motion while folding in on itself. You do not want When I have achieved the volume I want I bury the wand until I get up to temperature.

While my shots are extracting, I continuously rotate and agitate the milk in a circular motion so the microfoam doesn't begin to seperate...this is a key component, do not let the milk sit stagnant.

I pour with a medium speed controlled pour, tilting the cup toward me and pouring the milk directly into the espresso. As I am finishing my pour I lay the cup out flat and pour a rosette, heart, or whatever else I fancy.

This is just me, I am not claiming to be perfect but this does work for me and makes a delicious drink.
I would love any constructive feedback. I hope you found this helpful!
I've taught how to froth milk very well, (at Pumphreys) and very badly (at Nero). I am currently trying to teach myself using my little home krups machine - its a mini gaggia with just one handle. The espressos are about as good as they can be at home, but the steam wand just does not have enough pressure on it. At best you get enough froth for latte, the rest of the time you get thin but very hot milk - it boils before you get any foam. I'm sure there must be a way, I'm still experimenting!
best capp foam...ahh, take a pitcher of milk to starbucks, make sure it has time to sit and come up to room temperature, and then run it thru the auto-frother. that stuff is super-sweet!

guh.

seriously. bell shaped pitcher. cold milk, about 10% more than would use for a latte of equilvalent size, fairly aggressively expanded for 60% of the total foam time (steam tip nozzles at surface making steam impact with surface and introduce full air), then dip nozzle about half inch below surface to create the vortex to reincorporate foam into milk into a lovely smooth finish. let the milk rest while prepping shots, hand swirl milk in pitcher to re-wet the foam while shots pour, then one speed pour the milk/foam mix into the crema. the result should be a nice foam/crema mix on the outer edge of the cup with a nice thick merangue like foam in the middle.

for art pour, i use a pitcher with tight triangular art spout and incorporate slightly less air for a wetter pour. either way is pretty yummy.

wastage is much higher than a latte but still kept to a minimum. the larger the drink the more wasted. lame but unavoidable.

what say ye others?!?
cheers,
scott
I was under the impression that a traditional cappuccino had a certain ounce specification involved.

Large cappuccinos to my thinking are extra foamy lattes and not cappuccinos in the traditional sense of the word, but I could be wrong.
I personally use a 20 ounce pitcher. Now I am not one for very very precise science when I am participating in an art form such as frothing, so I teach my baristas to use the rule of thumb.In other words put your thumb down on the table where you have poured the milk into the pitcher and essentially double the volume of your milk. If you have measured one whole thumb length, then you will stretch it to two, etc. Now the volume is usally about 3.5 ounces of liquid milk before frothing, which does create just a little waste unfortunatly.
The reason I use the larger pitcher is I have seen baristas use the really small guys and spray milk everywhere out of control.

The correct ratio is 2 shots of espresso to 4 ounces of velvety microfoam.

I typically use organic whole milk unless specified otherwise. For some reason the organic just seems to steam better to me, but the whole aspect is key to get a rich creamy drink.

I crank my wand up 3/4 to all the way (I use an old school linea) and bury the wand. Using both hands I gradually draw down, injecting air into the milk at regular intervals and being careful not to create large nasty sea-foamy milk. The milk is moving in a continuous circular motion while folding in on itself. You do not want When I have achieved the volume I want I bury the wand until I get up to temperature.

While my shots are extracting, I continuously rotate and agitate the milk in a circular motion so the microfoam doesn't begin to seperate...this is a key component, do not let the milk sit stagnant.

I pour with a medium speed controlled pour, tilting the cup toward me and pouring the milk directly into the espresso. As I am finishing my pour I lay the cup out flat and pour a rosette, heart, or whatever else I fancy.

This is just me, I am not claiming to be perfect but this does work for me and makes a delicious drink.
I would love any constructive feedback. I hope you found this helpful!
trad capp - I'll use the 8oz pitcher, with about 5oz whole milk, with a restricted flow from the steam-wand with a moderate amount of expansion at the very beginning of steaming... assuming one is not deaf (and I know you can hear me, Joe) I'd say it wouldn't sound like a sputter, but it wouldn't be muffled either; the foam expansion shouldn't be so grand as to not permit visual evidence of the milk spinning after expansion has ceased - which happens when I think I've done enough or when my pitcher is hot to the touch; I also cut off my steaming before the pitcher becomes too hot to touch, that way a sweetness permeates throughout the milk, an even foam resides from top to bottom, and a temperature that is just a bit cooler than a latte would be - a memorable drink is one that can be quaffed at the moment it is served; pouring as near to the shots (extracted directly into the cup, of course) as possible with enough speed and a small constant jiggle to allow thick creamy foam and milk to quickly flow with gentle aplomb into my cup topped off with a heart usually. Pouring shouldn't take more than 6 seconds, I reckon. I waste about an ounce or so of milk and another ounce in foam.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service