ACF just stopped making mine. Those nice, thick 3 oz. bowl shaped cups that practically everyone uses for macchiatos are no longer in production. They have been replaced by a 2.25 oz. version of the same thing. Great espresso cups, not great macchiato cups. This happened at the very same time that i needed to get some new ones. I'm currently making do with cheap feeling Vertex cups from espressoparts.

What is your favorite cup and why?

Some stipulations; I don't like to get smaller than 3 oz. or as large as 4 for a macchiato. They have to be thick enough to retain some heat and durable enough for everyday cafe use.

Tags: Cup, Macchiato

Views: 2359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Ricky, you can't ask an open-ended subjective question and narrow my responses. I like the 2.25 oz cup you mentioned. It looks like three while actually being two, and contains as much room for microfoam as I'd want to introduce to a double: a single dot.
Have you called Great Infusions to verify the actual size has changed and not just the website description? I'm hoping you haven't and they are still physically the same 'cuz I'm in the same boat. I'd planned to call before ordering another dozen but haven't gotten around to it, but will ASAP! (I was going to call before replying but they aren't open yet...)
I ordered a set of white 3 oz. and the description on the site said 3. I received the 2.25. When i checked the site again, it said 2.25. Maybe he has some back-stock of the 3 oz. in a different color though. Couldn't hurt to ask.
Damn those Italian cup manufacturers for not making the same cup for more than 3 years!

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Have you called Great Infusions to verify the actual size has changed and not just the website description? I'm hoping you haven't and they are still physically the same 'cuz I'm in the same boat. I'd planned to call before ordering another dozen but haven't gotten around to it, but will ASAP! (I was going to call before replying but they aren't open yet...)
Your responses can be whatever you prefer. I simply meant that those are the requirements for my work situation. I like those cups as well, but my shops macchiato concept is more of a free poured "piccolo latte" than the traditional espresso with foam. Those cups unfortunately do not allow for that concept to work.
????? While of course my responses can be whatever I prefer, don't have a clue what you meant. I said "I'm in the same boat". Which means I use the ACF 3oz macch' demis for macchs' and am also screwed now that it's also my time to re-order (for 2nd location)...

Ricky Sutton said:
Your responses can be whatever you prefer. I simply meant that those are the requirements for my work situation. I like those cups as well, but my shops macchiato concept is more of a free poured "piccolo latte" than the traditional espresso with foam. Those cups unfortunately do not allow for that concept to work.
That reply was meant for Chris, i just hit the wrong buttons. The 3rd reply on the page was for you. Sorry for the confusion.

????? While of course my responses can be whatever I prefer, don't have a clue what you meant. I said "I'm in the same boat". Which means I use the ACF 3oz macch' demis for macchs' and am also screwed now that it's also my time to re-order (for 2nd location)...

Ricky Sutton said:
Roger that! Oh, and I've made it even worse on myself by using the even harder to find Nero Black for straight shots up to traditional cap' size... (Milk baby 8/12/16 latte drinkers get plain ol' white porcelain:-)

Ricky Sutton said:
That reply was meant for Chris, i just hit the wrong buttons. The 3rd reply on the page was for you. Sorry for the confusion.

Ricky Sutton said:
I did the exact same thing. I finally gave it up and went with white because i couldn't find any black latte cups and then they started making them;

http://www.espressosupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&am...

Still no good black (or any other color really) macchiato cups other than the non-existent 3 oz.-ers. You can find lots of 3 oz. tulip shaped cups, but the tulip shape isn't great for macchiatos either.

This is what you sign up for when you start getting particular about cups.

Roger that! Oh, and I've made it even worse on myself by using the even harder to find Nero Black for straight shots up to traditional cap' size... (Milk baby 8/12/16 latte drinkers get plain ol' white porcelain:-)

Ricky Sutton said:

Ricky Sutton said:
Suppose I was a bit more coffee snobbish in my business plan. I never even wanted Nero Black for the milk baby latte cups, figured the beverage didn't deserve the added elegance:-)

And yeah, I'm gonna be majorly ticked if I can't find more of the rounded shape Nero 3oz macch' cups...
I'm going to be honest and say that i'm a little turned off by your disrespect for un-traditional espresso drinks. Any drink that you put on your menu deserves respect. We live in America and even the most espresso forward coffee shops offer latte's and mocha's. Of course, if you don't want to make them you don't have to. But i feel that a healthier perspective is to say that if someone wants a mocha, you're going to give them the best damn mocha that they've ever had. Make it an elegant drink. Find some high quality chocolate. Peruse the selection of local (or french) chocolatiers and find a great chocolate or make syrup from their powder. Have your employees perfect their milk and pours. Make them a delicious and beautiful drink even if it's not something that you would want to drink yourself.
Another perspective is financial. It's great if everyone who comes into your shop orders an espresso, but that will mean that your average ticket is $2. The latte's pay the bills.
It has always been my fantasy to (after opening a cafe) open a street stand with a very limited menu. I'm thinking; Espresso, Macchiato, Cappuccino, 10 oz. Latte, 10 oz. Americano, and Brewed Coffee. And that's IT. To-go cups for 10 oz. drinks only. No modifications. No nonfat, no sugar free hazelnut syrup, no extra hot. I think that if it were done right, it could survive serving a niche demographic.
Unfortunately though, the nature of any coffee shop in America is that we have to make big milky drinks, so i wouldn't have too much angst about it if i were you.

Suppose I was a bit more coffee snobbish in my business plan. I never even wanted Nero Black for the milk baby latte cups, figured the beverage didn't deserve the added elegance:-)

And yeah, I'm gonna be majorly ticked if I can't find more of the rounded shape Nero 3oz macch' cups...
Get a grip, notice the smiley at the end of my statement? As I've posted before elsewhere more than once damn right I make my own scratch chocolatate sauce. And damned right if someone wants a Charbucks style Caramel Latte Macciatto I'll make them the best damned big dessert beverage with espresso they've quite possibly ever had. And quite frankly IMO the lighter color of the higher milk content lattes look better in qualiy white porcelain cups. I'm a working owner and know full well what pays my staff and my bills.
I know that you're the owner and you know what pays the bills. I know that you make people 16oz. espresso frappe's if they want one. So do i. I'm just mentioning that it may not be a healthy philosophy to believe that that frappe is a lesser drink than say, a macchiato. I could be totally wrong, but that's the vibe that i got from 2 of your responses.

Anyway, let me know what you end up doing about those macch cups.

Get a grip, notice the smiley at the end of my statement? As I've posted before elsewhere more than once damn right I make my own scratch chocolatate sauce. And damned right if someone wants a Charbucks style Caramel Latte Macciatto I'll make them the best damned big dessert beverage with espresso they've quite possibly ever had. And quite frankly IMO the lighter color of the higher milk content lattes look better in qualiy white porcelain cups. I'm a working owner and know full well what pays my staff and my bills.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

Barista Exchange Meet Up D.C.

© 2014   Created by Matt Milletto.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service