Thinking about starting a mobile espresso business...like an ice cream truck, but with class and flair

Anyone here doing this? I would really love to bend your ear. Thanks!

Tags: mobile

Views: 9765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HOORAY! :-) Where are you located? Check this out...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1281786133.html

I just found this last night while surfing around. Wouldn't that make the coolest mobile espresso rig? Anyway, I would love to chat with you.
Thanks, Troy. Yes, those are definitely draw-backs to consider. Also, being in AK, I will be driving on snow and ice 2/3 of the year. If I get hit that could be a very pricey fix.

Troy said:
I would stray away from the "vintage" vehicle idea, I had an older character vehicle kitted out as an espresso bar.
Cost a lot of $'s to setup and although enjoyable to work from and very successful, in the end the maintainance and running costs of the vehicle itself ate up all the profits. Also remember to do your research on your name, as original as you think your idea may be, somebody else may be running around elsewhere with the same name.
In NZ gas fired espresso machines are quite popular in mobile setups, only then requiring a small generator or invertor for the other electronic components of your setup. Check out my pics of Espresso Rescue on my picassa page, we ran everything off a petrol generator, 2 group espresso machine, grinder, blender, cash register. Everything else was run on 12v from battery such as pump for water supply, interior lighting and fans.
Troy...I just looked at your photos. TERRIFIC. I love your logo. I was drawing up some ideas last night using trying to put the Caduceus into the steam of coffee. I really like what you did with the red cross. Very nice!

Troy said:
I would stray away from the "vintage" vehicle idea, I had an older character vehicle kitted out as an espresso bar.
Cost a lot of $'s to setup and although enjoyable to work from and very successful, in the end the maintainance and running costs of the vehicle itself ate up all the profits. Also remember to do your research on your name, as original as you think your idea may be, somebody else may be running around elsewhere with the same name.
In NZ gas fired espresso machines are quite popular in mobile setups, only then requiring a small generator or invertor for the other electronic components of your setup. Check out my pics of Espresso Rescue on my picassa page, we ran everything off a petrol generator, 2 group espresso machine, grinder, blender, cash register. Everything else was run on 12v from battery such as pump for water supply, interior lighting and fans.
That Puegot is sweet, ...Might be a little tight to work inside though. Also probably tough to find parts for.

-Mike

Kylee said:
HOORAY! :-) Where are you located? Check this out...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1281786133.html

I just found this last night while surfing around. Wouldn't that make the coolest mobile espresso rig? Anyway, I would love to chat with you.
I really would like your help. My wife and I just bought a truck and need help getting it setup to start a coffee business. Thank you advance.

WAlter

Mike Funk said:
Hi Kylee,

I build weird espresso vehicles. We just finished an electric truck with a complete espresso bar in the back. It is run off of battery and solar power, and I converted the espresso machine to run off of propane. I've done Sprinters and other delivery trucks, If you are converting this yourself, I'd be happy to give you free advice.
Hi Dizzle,
My wife and I operate a mobile espresso van and I might can tell you what you'd like to know. We DID NOT do the build out on it, but I know the ins and outs of it after just 4 months of owning it. There are lots of hurdles to face with a mobile espresso bar but we've came out quite nicely. You can e-mail me directly with any questions you might have. Later!

Dizzle said:
I really would like your help. My wife and I just bought a truck and need help getting it setup to start a coffee business. Thank you advance.

WAlter

Mike Funk said:
Hi Kylee,

I build weird espresso vehicles. We just finished an electric truck with a complete espresso bar in the back. It is run off of battery and solar power, and I converted the espresso machine to run off of propane. I've done Sprinters and other delivery trucks, If you are converting this yourself, I'd be happy to give you free advice.
I do a mobile coffee shop as well but my local health regs dont allow me to just setup anywhere I want. I can only setup during special events (Festivals, fairs, etc) so I actually travel through about 8 states doing special events. I also do a coffee cart at weddings & parties. The festivals I do out of a concessions trailer which requires setup & teardown instead of a van or truck that just can pull into a locaion & be ready to serve for a little while & then pull out & head to another location. I wish I could do that for the weekdays when I dont have work.
Guess we're lucky as we fall in sort of a gray area with Environmental Health, as they are very easy to work with. Have to keep all dairy products at 40 degrees or less, must have the usual 3 bowl sink with separate sink for handwashing and must have potable water. That's pretty much it... we not only do all sorts of festivals/events around us but also have a daily AM spot for our regulars as well as now going to daycares for the parents and that sort of thing. Only issue we've had is getting permission from those that own the business/land... Later!

Mitch Buckner - Bella Caffe said:
I do a mobile coffee shop as well but my local health regs dont allow me to just setup anywhere I want. I can only setup during special events (Festivals, fairs, etc) so I actually travel through about 8 states doing special events. I also do a coffee cart at weddings & parties. The festivals I do out of a concessions trailer which requires setup & teardown instead of a van or truck that just can pull into a locaion & be ready to serve for a little while & then pull out & head to another location. I wish I could do that for the weekdays when I dont have work.
Yeah, I think Im going to have to move! Im actually working in SC for a couple more months so maybe I should see what my options are around here for that. I know I can do it over the state line in Augusta GA with a different permit as long as I have a contract for daily drainage of my gray water (seems a little excessive to have a daily drain when you only do drinks, no food).
I am assuming that you did not attend Coffeefest this past weekend in New York but there was a company there pitching a mobile kiosk they called the tank....I talked to the rep for a while and it acutally surprised me at how logical/exonomical their product is...they have done all the homework for you. I am not here to promote them at all and have no stake in their company, but I would look into it.
I have a 1977 Ford Gruuman step van that I'm working on converting, and could really use some help figuring out how to safely install a generator since it has no generator compartment. I think my power needs will be too high for a inverter/solar system on my budget, but I'd love to have that someday! Anyone who can help with instructions on how to safely install a generator inside the van I'd love to hear from you!! You can message me or e-mail me at shasti333@aol.com : )

Mike Funk said:
Hi Kylee,

I build weird espresso vehicles. We just finished an electric truck with a complete espresso bar in the back. It is run off of battery and solar power, and I converted the espresso machine to run off of propane. I've done Sprinters and other delivery trucks, If you are converting this yourself, I'd be happy to give you free advice.
We have something similar for Water Avenue Coffee ... planning on serving primarily french press and pour over out of this baby, as well as towing our Probatino to farmers markets this summer!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

Barista Exchange Meet Up D.C.

© 2014   Created by Matt Milletto.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service