Hi there BX'ers, I just have a quick question for any of you La Marzocco Linea owners or users out there, I'm struggling with getting good results when steaming smaller quantities of milk and wondering what other Linea owners are setting their steam boiler pressure to.

I think I'm around 1.5 bar, which is probably about the max you'd want to go, but I'm just curious as to where you've found is good to achieve nice milk for single drinks.

Obviously the steam tip is a factor here as well, so any steam tip advice would be helpful as well, I've changed out the stock tips long ago but still can't achieve the same results on this machine as I can on many others.

 

Cheers Troy.

 

Note: This discussion is now closed, thanks to the contributors.

Brady I think you got the wrong end of the steam wand on this one though.

I'm totally open to the discussion going off-topic, but you've come off sounding a little hostile in your remarks and possibly misinterpreted something here.

I just found a diagram from LM which shows steam boiler water temperature at 110 degrees C at 1.4 Bar, whereas a single boiler is the same temperature at 1.2 Bar.

So to achieve the same steam dryness, LM requires a higher setting.

Views: 663

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

im in the same boat with you here troy...except i am working on a old school la san marco machine....i believe the steam tip is still the stock tip...anyone out there have a good recommendation for a quality steam tip. also curious to what steam pressure is being used and how to set it?! thanks to all responses in advance.

Hi Eric,


I'm working with a La San Marco as well and I'm quite happy with this machine.

Something you want to check though is the steam actuator assembly, on a San Marco this can need regular servicing as its prone to wearing down, we just had ours replaced.

Sometimes the wand tips can have different appertures on each end, I know at work I prefer the left side for creating latte art.

Your machine will be a heat exchanger machine, so you can't independently adjust the steam pressure.

It should be reading around 1.1 or 1.2 bar.

Most of the photos and recent videos on my page were done on a San Marco, so they're more than capable, maybe you could have somebody look at your machine to make sure the valve is opening and closing fully.

Troy.

 

Eric mason said:

im in the same boat with you here troy...except i am working on a old school la san marco machine....i believe the steam tip is still the stock tip...anyone out there have a good recommendation for a quality steam tip. also curious to what steam pressure is being used and how to set it?! thanks to all responses in advance.

Try using a GS/3 steam tip, their smaller orifice size will reduce the steam flow if you are having issues with the larger holes on the Linea steam tip. The steam flow rate is determined by the hole size of the steam tip more then the boiler pressure. 

Hope that helps,

Scott

La Marzocco

Thanks Scott,

I'll have to try get hold of a GS/3 tip and try that out, I understand the relationship between the hole size and dispersion pattern etc, just want to make sure I'm not way off here by having my pressure so high. The milks not that bad, it just steams far too quickly and I'm teaching people with this machine, so it gives me less time to explain whats happening and distinguish the separate phases of milk steaming.

I think I have tips designed for Synesso on there currently.

So, I should leave the steam pressure where it is and just restrict it via the tip?, or a combination of both.

Troy


Scott Guglielmino said:

Try using a GS/3 steam tip, their smaller orifice size will reduce the steam flow if you are having issues with the larger holes on the Linea steam tip. The steam flow rate is determined by the hole size of the steam tip more then the boiler pressure. 

Hope that helps,

Scott

La Marzocco

Hi Troy,

 The pressure you set your steam boiler at is going to have only a very small effect on your steaming. There is a huge amount of steam stored in the boiler and what you see when you are steaming milk is primarily caused by the size of the steam tip's holes. Meaning you are best off starting with a small steam tip. 

-Scott

La Marzocco

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to track down a GS/3 tip from my local La Marzocco distributor and go from there.

Troy.



Scott Guglielmino said:

Hi Troy,

 The pressure you set your steam boiler at is going to have only a very small effect on your steaming. There is a huge amount of steam stored in the boiler and what you see when you are steaming milk is primarily caused by the size of the steam tip's holes. Meaning you are best off starting with a small steam tip. 

-Scott

La Marzocco

since adjusting the steam pressure in my san marco is impossible...is it possible to put a la marzocco gs3 steam tip on a san marco ....or do i have to find a steam tip made specifically for my machine?

Hi Eric,

Its entirely possible to adjust your steam pressure, you just can't do it independantly.

Set it too high though and your brewing temp will be too high, if your machine is set around 1.1 or 1.2 then theres no issue.

La San Marco and La Marzocco steam tips are not interchangeable as the thread is male on the San Marco tip and female on LM and likely different pitch as well.

You should contact michaelo in Seattle and enquire as to what they have available.

Good luck, seems I'm going to have to order through Espressoparts for my LM steam tip as the local distributors don't have the GS/3 tip only the standard 4 hole GB5 style.

Troy

 

Eric mason said:

since adjusting the steam pressure in my san marco is impossible...is it possible to put a la marzocco gs3 steam tip on a san marco ....or do i have to find a steam tip made specifically for my machine?
Hey thanks troy for the knowledge ill see what I can do. Good luck to you and your search for the perfect tip!

I've just ordered a couple of different tips from the UK, the NZ dollars pretty good at the moment so I haven't been slammed too bad for postage.



Eric mason said:

Hey thanks troy for the knowledge ill see what I can do. Good luck to you and your search for the perfect tip!

Hi Troy.

We use a Linea with standard steam wand tip on one side and a GS3 on the other.  The rotary dial for steam control allows more steam out as you open it up.  When I'm steaming for a capp I open it less than for a 16 ounce drink.  Also, when we train we let baristas use bigger jugs and then decant into an appropriate-sized jug for the pour.  It wastes milk but with the baristas are proud to be making good quality milk and many of them strive to get down their jug size as their skills improve.

Hi Stickman,

 

Thanks for the advice, yes I've had to train with larger pitchers than necessary in the interim and it does help to slow the process. Once I get the new tips I'll likely leave one stock one on one end. 

Steaming more milk than required also gives trainees the oportunity to pour multiple drinks, so they get more "bang for their buck".

Cheers.

.
Stickman said:

Hi Troy.

We use a Linea with standard steam wand tip on one side and a GS3 on the other.  The rotary dial for steam control allows more steam out as you open it up.  When I'm steaming for a capp I open it less than for a 16 ounce drink.  Also, when we train we let baristas use bigger jugs and then decant into an appropriate-sized jug for the pour.  It wastes milk but with the baristas are proud to be making good quality milk and many of them strive to get down their jug size as their skills improve.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

Barista Exchange Meet Up D.C.

© 2014   Created by Matt Milletto.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service