I found myself stuck at Portland airport for a few hours, head buzzing from flying, and waiting for my flight back to Seattle. To try to cure my headache, I bought a hot apple cider from SBUX (there were no indie cafe I could find). So that got me thinking.....

When would you ever, or in what situations, would you ever buy anything from a SBUX cafe?

Tags: cafe, retail, sbux, starbucks

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I quote from the great poet Lawrence from "Office Space", "No. No, man. $#!*, no, man. I believe you'd get your @$$ kicked doin' something like that, man.
That's my point... Most of us on BX are educated enough on coffee quality that we don't waste money at SBUX. BUT... in a hypothetical desperate situation, say you're stuck in a small town with absolutely no good coffee, would you buy a SBUX drip as a last resort? Much like in a hypothetical situation where you're starving for food and you're stuck at a truck stop, you have the choice of a corn dog on a stick from the gas station or McDonald's. Would you cave in and eat at MCD even if they are your sworn enemy?
Principles are principles. You gotta make a stand, then stand. But, that's just me. I know people, even that work with me, that go there from time to time and have no problem with it. For me, personally though, I will not support them with any of my money. If I did have to go in there for a desperate situation, I would get water.
You're right. Absolutely right. It's been over 17 years since I went into a MacDonalds and today I am saying that I will NEVER go into a Sbux again. Jason, you're right, man. Thanks for calling me on it.
That's what I'm here for....
I haven't been to SBUX for while. However, there are areas like Miami, where if you want a cap or espresso and not the Cafe cubano, you have NO other choice. I make my coffee at home at breakfast. But then, what do you do when you are ready to fall asleep walking? Take a stand or get a jolt? I say get a jolt. If, however, there was a choice between STBUX and an indie shop, I would most definately choose indie.
Getting the water isn't such a bad idea. I mean, it's more socially responsible than their coffee...
When I was traveling several years ago outside of San Francisco, I walked to an independent coffee house to get my coffee. Unfortunately, it was so bad of an iced latte that I threw it out. I walked an additional two blocks and got an iced latte that at least I knew what the taste would be.
I spent all afternoon sitting in *$. I spent time in there, but spent no money. I went in entirely because they were giving away free fairtrade drip coffee today. I was impressed - it was passable coffee, nothing stupendously good, but I've had a lot worse. Whats more, I got four free coffees, a bag of grounds, some used grounds to go on my garden, and a lot of help with my uni research. I was also wearing my Caffe Nero t-shirt and reading an academic paper called 'The Starbuckisation of Society' and they were still very pleasant to me!!

I admit, I have been there and spent money in the past. But I have the excuse of doing it for research. Giant hot milkshakes with a coffee theme have their place in the world, but that place can never be confused with the idea of Real Good Coffee.
I love their pastries and their iced chai.
Last time i went into a Starbucks was in Berlin. I had the choice between SBux or Balzac coffee. When compared i didn't think they were all that differen conceptwise. Although Balzac's coffee was slighly better.
When I'm on the road and can't find an independent ill hit one. As much as i don't care for their coffee, a fix is a fix. Any coffee is better than no coffee when you are in an unfamiliar place.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

Barista Exchange Meet Up D.C.

© 2014   Created by Matt Milletto.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service